A question about anealing?

I went the Anraleez route and should have it soon. I never knew enough about the salt bath method to really look at it. Like others I figured it would corosive on the brass. One should really learn to so some research shouldn't one LOL.
I bought the annealeaz machine a few years back and really like it. I've done from 223 all the way up to 338 LM on mine. Ya do have to buy different size wheels, a set for 308 sized cases, a set for magnum cases and a small set for 223 sized cases. I had all three and found if you "time" the openings on the cases, (draw a diagram) you'll have fewer shenanigans when changing out the wheels. His how to videos were on point and I was up and annealing in no time. Good luck!

I went the Anraleez route and should have it soon. I never knew enough about the salt bath method to really look at it. Like others I figured it would corosive on the brass. One should really learn to so some research shouldn't one LOL.
The annealeez works great and fast I love mine

I have the annealeaz but hard to tell if the brass is at the right temp. Need to order some templac, also noticed the brass doesn't always turn consistantly. May order the Salt bath and try it. At least it's a known temp. and will be more consistant.
Thanks for the info!

Been annealing using a drill motor and torch. Just ordered the salt bath kit. Already have 2 Lee melting pots. But they're bigger than the one shown on the demo video? May have to modify something?
Will keep all posted when I get set up. Interesting. Thanks for the info. LOVE this site!

I deprime, not resize, and bought a little PID controller which I wired with a short piece of extension cord. It keeps the temperature within 10 degrees even doing 338 Lapua. The kit includes a plastic tub to put the salt plug in when cooled off. I believe you can find a prewired kit for the PID if you are not confident DYI. If using a bigger pot I would build a cover to protect against anything going in to the liquid salt. Or contact the gentleman building the kits to see if he could build a one off, or maybe have an option for customers using a different sized pot? You will likely need additional salt to fill a larger pot to annealing depth - or it may be cheapest, easiest, and safest to drop the few dollars for the small pot....

I anneal my straight wall after every shot (45-70 & 45-110), they don't get sized. all my bottle neck cartridges after 5 shots or so and always before neck sizing. I use clean play sand in lee pot. Setting around 9 which gets sand about 800 degrees. Push neck in sand for about 5 seconds or so, then into an empty pot. Works very well and doing a couple at a time your hands won't stop moving. Can do a lot of brass in a sitting. Very cheap and very efficient. No primer, and if brass gets hot where you are grabbing it, you annealed too long
That's interesting, haven't heard of doing it that way before but as long as you get adequate heat transfer it sure makes it a lot simpler than a salt bath.

thwatson2,
That method is much more controllable than flame, so I'm interested. I have read it isn't hard to over anneal and destory the zinc in the brass. I don't have enough info to argue either way yet. Just something to look at. I use to spin on a drill in my dark laundry room till i saw a bit of red then drop in water like many have done. I'm guessing it over-annealed some since the metalurgy chart say anneal color is a "dark plum"

edit - forgot to put the melting point for zinc is 787f

Annealing changes the dimensions of the brass, brass expands with heat. That being said annealing should before sizing and trimming.
I do it after they come out of the wet tumbler.

I anneal my straight wall after every shot (45-70 & 45-110), they don't get sized. all my bottle neck cartridges after 5 shots or so and always before neck sizing. I use clean play sand in lee pot. Setting around 9 which gets sand about 800 degrees. Push neck in sand for about 5 seconds or so, then into an empty pot. Works very well and doing a couple at a time your hands won't stop moving. Can do a lot of brass in a sitting. Very cheap and very efficient. No primer, and if brass gets hot where you are grabbing it, you annealed too long
Sand....never heard of doing it this way before, but it sure takes away all the chances of the salt exploding in your face as some people caution. I might have to get a pot and try this one out

How do you check your temperature, making sure it is consistent with what you need to anneal?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.