A new guy asking for help choosing a budget scope setup.

Bobtom

Hello everyone,

Direct question -
I'm attempting to build my first long range/1000 yard rifle and need advice on choosing a scope mount, rings, and scope.

Long version with lots of detail of what I would like to do and my motivation-
I have been shooting of and on since I was 6 years old or so. While I am by no means a great shot, I would consider myself decent. After taking about a 10 year break from shooting, I begun to get back into it. I started last fall by buying a AR-15, then a pistol, then a 12 gauge, and so on. About mid way through the year, I realized that I had never shot past 500 yards before. As all of my purchased up to this point were reliable budget firearms, I decided to keep the trend going by building the best quality scoped rifle I could using the economical .308 round. I ended up with a Savage 12FV with a 24 inch barrel for around $240 after rebates and discounted gift cards. At this point, I realized I knew nothing about scopes and decide to put the build on hold.

With black Friday rapidly approaching, I began reading as much as I could on MOA, glass clarity, Mil dots, focal planes, scope bases, and bullet trajectories. I can now confirm that I know enough to get started, but not enough to keep myself out of trouble.
While I would like to have a mil-dot scope with a solid lifetime warranty, an 18x or more zoom, and operates on the first focal plane for $300 or under, I don't see that happening.

What I have found that fills the mil-dot, warranty, and zoom criteria is the "Konus 7259 riflescope 6x - 24" for $110.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DX5EMW/?tag=lrhmag19-20

With my limited research, I am trying to pair it up with "20 MOA Short Action Scope Mount".
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049IUS38/?tag=lrhmag19-20

I have not looked for scope rings yet, as it is getting late.

So what do you guys think? Should i stick with the economy scope, mount, and find some rings? Or is there a quality scope out there that will fill my needs and be a great value? I am going out on a limb for must of this stuff, as I have no real experience with scoped rifles.

Thank you for reading. I am aware that most of the information I seek is likely in the forum already, but I am a little strapped for time. I will read the relevent sicky postings as soon as I can.

Personally, I wouldnt spend less than $300 On a scope. I've seen some Vortex Vipers on sale right now for $299. Midway I think?

Take a look at the SWFA Super Sniper. I have 2 both 20x fixed. Both have been out to 1880 yards with no problems for my 72 year old eyes. One is a mil dot the other is a mil quad. I like both but the mil quad sis on my 1000 yard .308 match gun. $300 for scope then get some Burris Zee rings with the inserts & an EGW 20 moa rail & you're set. https://swfa.com/

BW

Yup, the above! Rock solid durability, repeatable turrets, very good glass, all for a very, very good price. There is nothing more frustrating than having scope issues when shooting. Trying to track down the problem alone is a bear let alone fixing it. Get good, quality glass period is my suggestion. If you don't want to spend much money buy SWFA. You get all of the quality for a very good price.

Personally, I wouldnt spend less than $300 On a scope. I've seen some Vortex Vipers on sale right now for $299. Midway I think?
Thank you for your reply Desertcj,
I do realize that under $300 is a joke for most people that are serious, but I am choosing this path for a few different reasons.

1) I purposely chose to do a budget build. The Rifle itself cost under $300 new. (Although it will be on sale at Cabala's on the Black Friday and Saturday for $219 after rebate. If you bought gift cards online, your out of pocket expenses for a new 12 FV could be $160!)

2) I've never shot long range before, I don't want to invest a lot of money into a rifle I might never shoot if it doesn't agree with me.

3) The only range that has 600 to 1000-yard ranges is almost 2 hours away from me. The next closest range is around 4 to 6 hours away. It severely limits my shooting on anything longer than 100 yards.

I did look up a few Vortexes though. The Vortex Crossfire II 6-18x44mm AO Riflescope, Dead-Hold BDC for $219 stood out, but it isn't mil-dot. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XY4XT4Q/?tag=lrhmag19-20

Take a look at the SWFA Super Sniper. I have 2 both 20x fixed. Both have been out to 1880 yards with no problems for my 72 year old eyes. One is a mil dot the other is a mil quad. I like both but the mil quad sis on my 1000 yard .308 match gun. $300 for scope then get some Burris Zee rings with the inserts & an EGW 20 moa rail & you're set. https://swfa.com/

BW
Hello BW64,

It does seem like the SWFA scopes are quality. I haven't seen very many people complaining about them. If seems they currently have the mil quad available for just under $300. My only concern with these is that they are locked at 20x zoom. I live in Florida and most likely won't have a chance to shoot past 1000 yards for a few years. Just getting to a range that is over 100 yards will take a lot of effort. I would like to avoid a scope that can't realistically be used for anything under 500 yards. Considering how happy people are with them, I am keeping them on my options list for now.

A fixed power scope would be your best bang for your buck on quality that'll get you to 1k.
I recommend Burris zee rings, for an economy ring choice. Try to get a scope with known tracking ability or you'll be frustrated.
Canhunger35 and goring3006,

Thank you for adding your opinions, it does help with my choice. I have a question that may be very stupid, but what is "known tracking ability"?

I've used these scopes for hunting at less than 50 yards & have no distortion. My rifles are sighted in at 100 so clear there also. It's your choice. You asked for help. I see no difference in glass compared to the Vortex Viper. Got one of those too. :)

BW

You could take a look at the Sightron scope line up. They have good glass and a lot of people have had success with them, including myself. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.