A Man and His Rifle

DoneNOut

As per Jim Carmichel:

"These three rifles stand together in my gun rack, like three old men telling hunting tales and sharing memories of days past, of shots well done and misses too, shots close and far, some quick and deadly and others just lucky. And when I trace my fingers along their scarred stocks and feel the cool steel of the barrels through which so many bullets have passed, I can hear the whisper of the sheep mountain and listen to the songs of places far away. And I dream of hunts to come."

I guess you can look at rifles in two ways, as a "functionalist" or as a "romanticist", the latter described above by Carmichel. I heard one guy refer to his synthetics as "Four-wheel drive rifles", a rifle he could take in any weather. That is a very functionalist perspective. (I laughed when I heard the term, for it rings true) A romanticist adds an art to his hunting passion with his rifle. The rifleman and rifle adventure together, a level of trust builds and eventually he attaches to it heavy sentimental value. Like Carmichel, he remembers the hunts by the touch, feel, and scars on this extension of his body.

The functionalist is **** glad he has an all-weather synthetic rifle he doesn't have to pamper when quartering out a kill when he is cold, wet, hungry, and tired. The romanticist returns to the lodge, rifle in hand, to reminisce about the hunt and passes around the beauty that took the game.

The functionalist returns to camp and reminisces about how he took the game, and the rifle is back in a case in the truck where it should be. To the functionalist, passing a rifle around camp would compare to a mechanic passing around the wrench he used to rebuild an engine.

Now... I think most of us share a little of both these perspectives and find a happy medium. Thus, the reason to have a synthetic for the 4X4 function, and the wood beauty for the aesthetic value.

-Brad

I appreciate the beauty of a rifle as well as the performance. I find myself torn when selling a rifle especially when I have memorable experiences. I really miss pulling the old rifles out of the safe and reminiscing on the days gone by. However, I really enjoy a new project and there is only so much room in the safe.

I'm a functionalist. They are a tool.

BUT I understand the romantics…I was able to hold and play with O'Connor's sheep rifle #2 a few years ago…and that was an awesome experience! I swear that rifle had an energy to it…but maybe that was just from all the stories and articles I've read about it over the years haha!

I love a good wood stocked hunting rifle and spend hours drooling over this site: LINK

but when I go hunting, I carry this rifle in a Pelican case.

Attachments

• 4E2BF356-721D-4EF2-BCDC-A3D75A98AFDD.jpeg
    4E2BF356-721D-4EF2-BCDC-A3D75A98AFDD.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 176
I love a good wood stocked hunting rifle and spend hours drooling over this site: LINK

but when I go hunting, I carry this rifle in a Pelican case.
One of my rifles that stand out among the rest is a small ring Mexican Mauser 7 mm x57 that my dad built . We found some brand new never fired in the white military barrels in shotgun news for 33.00 each for large ring mausers. My dad being a gun and stock maker took the barrel turned the shank down and rethreaded it for the small ring Mauser cut and crowned it , installed it and headspaced it off of a new piece of brass ,drilled and taped it , altered the bolt lapped the lugs and bolt face and built a beautiful English walnut stock with 24 lines too the inch no boarder checkering . I installed a Weaver 3x9 scope bore sighted it went too my range with some factory Hornady 139 gr interlocks and shot a four shot ragged hole dead nuts zero one in high at a 100 yds and have not made one scope adjustment. I haven't shot it since that's my story of my dad me and his rifle I inherited .

One of my rifles that stand out among the rest is a small ring Mexican Mauser 7 mm x57 that my dad built . We found some brand new never fired in the white military barrels in shotgun news for 33.00 each for large ring mausers. My dad being a gun and stock maker took the barrel turned the shank down and rethreaded it for the small ring Mauser cut and crowned it , installed it and headspaced it off of a new piece of brass ,drilled and taped it , altered the bolt lapped the lugs and bolt face and built a beautiful English walnut stock with 24 lines too the inch no boarder checkering . I installed a Weaver 3x9 scope bore sighted it went too my range with some factory Hornady 139 gr interlocks and shot a four shot ragged hole dead nuts zero one in high at a 100 yds and have not made one scope adjustment. I haven't shot it since that's my story of my dad me and his rifle I inherited .
You forgot to add pics! Great story!

I'm more of a 4x4 guy myself, I'm just hard on ****,,, but I have infatuation with fine, extremely well figured wood rifles that point like a fine English shotgun .. in fact I have 3 in my safe that probably will only the see the woods a few times but **** they perty!! This one is built on a G series model 70 that I bought original when Winchester decided too make a few 300 ultra mags.. fast forward quite a few years and yes its still a 300 ultra but just way better now after I got done with it!!😁
20210714_165509.jpg
20210714_165521.jpg
20210304_172257.jpg
20210304_172211.jpg
20210304_172202.jpg
20210304_172141.jpg

Attachments

• 20210714_165526.jpg
    20210714_165526.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 112
Last edited:
They are tools. But, they are not wrenches or screw drivers. They give us a power to take life and to defend it. There is no other such tool that invokes so much passion. That must be why we bestow art and beauty upon them. I separate my rifles into fair weather and bad weather tools. Still love them all. Always have. I can't remember a time I didn't love guns!

Last edited: