A hot rod .243

muleyman

Has anyone here messed around with sizing down either a 7 rsaum or a 270 wsm down to .243. I've been pondering, (its been just a little slow at work) the idea of this however I'm not sure it would be worth it. This would be a hunting only rifle, set up mainly for deer/antelope and the occasional coyote and rock. I was thinking about the 115gr Berger and hoping for around 3100-3200 fps mark. Is this feasible or would it end up just being an overbore barrel eating monster. I tried the various searches and didn't turn up much so if this thing goes by another name, let me know and I'll track down info that way. Thanks in advance..........

WOW hot rod is right! I've pushed 168 Bergers to 3050 with my 7 SAUM, I can't even think what it would do if necked down to 243. I am considering making mine a 6.5 once I have to replace the barrel. I'm thinking the 6.5 with 140 gr bullets is pushing the envelope enough, the 243 would be way past that. Besides the Bergers don't like being pushed past 3200 fps. It would be interesting to see what it would do though....gun)

Jarhead, Want an idea of what to expect. google 25 Pronghorn, 25/300 wsm. This set up can produce 4,000 fps in the proper combination . That is using a .257 ,100 grain bullet. Bet the barrels don't last a long time. HOT ROD 6mm, 243 .

Good Luck,
21 buck

Never heard of that but you could just go with the 243 Super Rockchucker. Im shooting the 95 bergers at over 3500fps. Plus brass is readily available and cheap.

In my opinion you gain nothing by necking down something like 270 WSM to 6mm. It can't be made to shoot much flatter, doesn't buck the wind better, doesn't kill as well, but eats barrels for breakfast. For long range muleys stick with the larger bore and higher BC bullets.

Last edited:
You going to have bullet issue's. This problem starts with the 6-284 where any bullets worth using for extended ranges you can't use because they will not hold up. I rephrase that you can use but not to the caliber's full potental.

I woudn't see any sense in building anything bigger then a 6-284 because of this.

Judd are you saying that the barnes TSX won't hold up? What about the accubonds, and other similar premium bullets. I agree that full bore loads will eat barrels for breakfast but as a coyote, wolf, cat, and possibly hog gun. It would be a kick that is why I am building 99% complete a 25 Pronghorn. It's what excites our brain to do the seemingly impossible. 22/50cal round? Now its been made and fired, do I want one? No. It's not a practical round, barrels last maybe 200 rnds.

21 buck

A 6mm SAUM? Go for it. Your barrel manufacturer will appreciate the volume sales. Expect around 500 shot barrel life.
Why not go really extreme:
12b.jpg

When I built my 6-284 I had two bullet in mind for long range hunting purposes.

1) 105 amax
2) 115 VLD

For hunting you need a bullet that will open up also dont forget.

The amax wouldn't handle the speed it would vapporize not even close to my expectations of the caliber...the VLD held up fine but accuracy went to sh!t beyond 3200 fps...Also not even close to what the 6-284 could produce.

A 107 SMK would prolly hold up but I have my doubt that it would open up at extended ranges with the 6MM.

A bullet that will open up on game isn't gonna handle the stress your gonna put it thru. Some may disagree with me here and I'm not telling you to not do your project but just throwing out my opinion/experiance....take it for what it's worth

Give me a bullet that I can send out of a 6MM-284 that is above .5 BC and 115 gr or above and will open up then I'll be building another 6-284 very very soon.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.