A few build questions for Elk/Muleys

MasonG

I want to build a rifle that I can use to hunt mule deer and elk. So right off the bat I'm thinking it should be something in the .300+ range. I have experience with a .300 WSM and have really liked it, but not sure it'd be ideal for that type of hunting. Plus the reason I'm asking you all is because I live in MD and have no prior experience with elk or muley hunting. The guy I work with is an elk hunter and wants me to go with him on a combo mule deer/antelope hunt within the next couple years. He's a huge Remington 700 fan and is pushing me towards one of those but I'm also really interested in the Mark V because I own a Weatherby Vanguard and love it. I'm not looking to be swapping barrels and reloading a ton and all that, I would like a gun that I basically put good glass on (leaning towards a Swarovski), replace the stock, and just shoot factory bullets for a while. Any suggestions?

Edit: is this too much too ask for? Would it be better to build a gun for muleys and antelope and worry about an elk rifle later on down the road? I was considering just using my Weatherby Vangaurd for the antelope, it's a .25-06 with a Leupold vx-3 and has been a tack driver so far.

Yep, or if you want a new rifle go with the 300 win mag. Either a sendero, a rem 700 long range, or if you are up for replacing the stock, an sps with a bell and carlson stock. All are good options and once you be sure to float the barrel, they should be solid shooters even with factory ammo.

If you want to try a weatherby mark v,look at an accu mark in 300 weatherby bought you'll be disappointed.

Your 25-06 will do for the antelope, but I personally wouldn't go after muley's with it. This is a highly debated subject though so I hope to not create a topic shift.....

For the muley's and elk, I'd stay with what you already have comfort with - the 300 WSM - even though every rifle "feels" differently when shooting (even the same rifle model/chambering can feel different).

However, it doesn't sound like the 300WSM is your rifle so you'd be acquiring a new one? If so and you're not into reloading (as yet!), choose a cartridge you can find ammo for just about anywhere. Here in CO, I can find 300Win mag on the shelf in many places.

As to choosing a Rem700 or a Weatherby Mark V (or a Savage or _____), choose the rifle that feels better in *your* hands and what you feel more confident with. Either one will deliver the accuracy needed for your intended purpose.

If you decide to "hotrod" your rifle later there are plenty of options in either platform, but the Rem700 does have more options and qualified professionals to do the work for you.

Thanks for all the quick replies. The 300 WSM I currently own is basically a "rainy day" gun. I really only use it for deer when it's raining or snowing. It's a Wincheter 70 and has a muzzle brake that came on it when I bought it. I hate the muzzle break so that's why I rarely shoot it.

I'm really leaning towards a Remington 700. My coworker loves these guns and from the build point of view, it seems like all aftermarket options are available for the 700 action.

So basically yes I will be buying a new rifle no matter what caliber I choose. Reloading will come later.

Thanks for the help guys. I love hearing opinions from people much more experienced than me.

Thanks for all the quick replies. The 300 WSM I currently own is basically a "rainy day" gun. I really only use it for deer when it's raining or snowing. It's a Wincheter 70 and has a muzzle brake that came on it when I bought it. I hate the muzzle break so that's why I rarely shoot it.

Do you hate the muzzle brake that came with it (if so, have you considered another MB, there are plenty of good ones out there to choose from) or do you hate muzzle brakes period?

Do you hate the muzzle brake that came with it (if so, have you considered another MB, there are plenty of good ones out there to choose from) or do you hate muzzle brakes period?

I like the brake from the standpoint of lowering recoil. But I hate the increased noise. This muzzle brake doesn't screw off so it would have to be cut off and machined. I wouldn't pass on a gun with a muzzle brake but I'm not 100% positive I'd buy one to have installed.

If I were you I would have the brake cut off and have the barrel re crowned. I would then install a better recoil pad and go hunting. Probably a lot cheaper than buying a new rifle. The .300 wsm is a great all around caliber. And most of the Win 70's shoot pretty good.

Use Your excisting gun, load it with 200 AB in front of 66-67grs of 7827SSC. Shoots under 1 1/2" at 300m in my own rifle.

I also us same powder behind 180 Scirocco II's. Shoots ragged holes at the same range. 5 shot grups at less than 3/4" at 300m/330y is very acceptabe :)

I like the brake from the standpoint of lowering recoil. But I hate the increased noise. This muzzle brake doesn't screw off so it would have to be cut off and machined. I wouldn't pass on a gun with a muzzle brake but I'm not 100% positive I'd buy one to have installed.

Got it, ports are machined onto the barrel (similar to magnaporting). Yep, noise and muzzle blast are disadvantages of having an MB. I fully understand it is not for everybody.

MBs not only reduce felt recoil (break for the shoulder and more trigger time) but also muzzle rise/fall, ... being able to see your target on impact is priceless.

Excellent advices provided thus far. Good luck!

Well you guys may have me sold on just using my 330 WSM. I think if I put it in a better stock and replace the Nikon with at least a Leupold, I'll have what I'm looking for. There's no way I'd remove the muzzle brake on this gun because it is effective.

At this point, it would be cheaper to buy a new rainy day whitetail gun and build this than buy a whole new gun.

Thanks for helping me spend my money fellas!

Get a good gunsmith to look at it and see if it is indeed a ported barrel of if it had a brake installed. With a really good gunsmith you won't see a seam between the brake and barrel if he gets it done right.

If it's ported then you just have to live with what you have.

The 300wsm is more than enough to get the job done on everything from Antelope to Elk at ranges farther than most people can shoot accurately.

Put it in a good stock, pillar bed it, put some good glass on it and then find a load it shoots sub MOA and you are cooking with gas.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.