A deeper dive into reloading

The Savage is a good rifle.

I'm not sure about new ones, but the bolt can be disassembled with a big Allen wrench…..you will want a moderate torque screwdriver to reassemble. I use locktite on it because the bolt is way oversized and nut way to thin to get much clamp load.

I have paid to true and time a Savage, but I'm not sure it is required. I would avoid all the bolt lift kits….in general I'm not sure they smooth things up much.

I usually set at something experience tells me will shoot. Adjust charge weight until Sd is minimized or good enough. Then try adjusting seating depth as a final tune. Often times a good load gets little out of seating depth and a bad load never gets anything repeatable out of it… there is still value in adjusting
From what I've seen as soon as you get out of the entry level, Savage rifles are pretty high quality. I had a cheap desert tactical that shot >2" at 300 with hornady precision hunter in 6.5PRC but it's so heavy I didn't want to pack it in to the woods so I grabbed this light one. Days off start tomorrow I'm so stoked to work up a load! Gonna be spending a lot of time in the cave reading

I have the same rifle with the proof CF barrel and it shoots very well with many different loads. You shouldn't have any problems finding a good load.

I have the same rifle with the proof CF barrel and it shoots very well with many different loads. You shouldn't have any problems finding a good load.
What does yours like? I just got some awesome groups with 51.6gr IMR4831 behind a 143gr ELD-X but the mv was all over the place so I'm gonna run a ladder off of it. You try any other bullets?

Recent Posts