A bubble level or reticle level as must have gear

Litehiker

Never heard of shooting while using a bubble level?

Well IF your scope was mounted using a level and plumb line so it is on perfectly level on your rifle then you are ready for a bubble level for long range shooting.

A bubble level for shooting is attached to your scope tube, in the top of the rear scope ring or in the bottom of the rear scope ring. Pick one.

OR, some new scopes like SIG and Leupold have digital levels built into the horizontal reticle. This is of course the best solution as it does not require taking your eyes off the sight.

So why worry if your rifle is perfectly level for long range shooting?
Because canting (leaning) your rifle puts a lot of windage on your bullet flight. And if you were unaware of your cant you'll put the miss and chalk it up to wind effects. Our scopes' crosshair (center of reticle) sits an average of 1 1/2 inches above the barrel bore. If not perfectly vertical in a long range shot it will cause a windage miss.

So go forth and buy a bubble level for your scope or a scope with a built in reticle level and USE it.

Eric B.

Last edited:
This is true, one addition. You don't have to have the scope level it can be canted as well. Do you can hold the gun and set the scope level with your eye, like using a garage door and then level your level to that. And it will be the same. I personally level the scope to the rifle. But David Tubb as an example cants his like 20 degrees.

This is true, one addition. You don't have to have the scope level it can be canted as well. Do you can hold the gun and set the scope level with your eye, like using a garage door and then level your level to that. And it will be the same. I personally level the scope to the rifle. But David Tubb as an example cants his like 20 degrees.
as long as the level matches the internal travel of the scope reticle is the main thing, but if your rifle is canted you will have to correct eventually for the cant

Yeah, you can do a Tall Ladder Test to check how true your scope reticle is. Some reticles are installed slightly off vertical even in top end scopes. (GOOGLE it)

So... IF you reticle is true and IF it is mounted level on your rifle then a bubble level (ALSO mounted true) will help you avoid the dreaded cant - so you "can" shoot straight.
Sorry, couldn't avoid that pun.

Eric B.
P.S. Canhunter, you scare me with two levels on your PRS competition rifle. A man who pays attention to that level of detail is tough to beat.

Ok, never shot with a bubble level. Did set my rifle and scope up with level and plumb line. Did a tall ladder test and it's spot on. So, who's level would you recommend? Would mount to my Savage Model 12, NXS 5.5x22x56, Ken Farrell G-Force mount, 300 WSM.

Eric B.
P.S. Canhunter, you scare me with two levels on your prs rifle. A man who pays attention to that level of detail is tough to beat.
Lol, I still make enough mistakes. It's more that I like the levels that jut to the side, and I like it ahead of my front ring, so much easier for me to keep my left eye on it, but if I'm shooting support side I can't even see it.

Ok, never shot with a bubble level. Did set my rifle and scope up with level and plumb line. Did a tall ladder test and it's spot on. So, who's level would you recommend? Would mount to my Savage Model 12, NXS 5.5x22x56, Ken Farrell G-Force mount, 300 WSM.
Honestly, they all work. I like tubbs level and mk machining levels, the mk are a little easier to install. But even the 3$ ones from China off of eBay work lol, they're just hard to install, but once you get them they seem to hold just fine

Based on my experience, I suggest skipping the Amazon $5 Chinese scope levels. I threw mine away after one trip to the range. I need to order a better quality level - just haven't decided which one.

Tex,
I have a Vortex level on my scope tube for my 6.5 CM RPR competition rifle and a top scope ring level on my 6.5 CM Browning X-Bolt Pro. The top ring is faster to use but harder to see since it is small. But that Talley ring set is all burnt bronze Cerakote like the factory Cerakote on my barrel and action. (Just couldn't resist the matchy/matchy look. ;o)

I really am looking hard at SIG scopes with reticle levels. Don't like Leupold's reticle choices with their level reticles.

Eric B.

I think I'll follow your lead, Eric. I'm not in the market for a new scope or rings, so I think I'll try the Vortex scope tube level. I just looked at the reviews and they are generally pretty high. Thanks for the recommendation.

I really am looking hard at SIG scopes with reticle levels. Don't like Leupold's reticle choices with their level reticles.

Eric B.
I just ordered 2 of the Sig 4.5-14 BDX, one of the appeals to me was the internal level. Videos I watched seem to be pretty ok. Not sure how the glass will be on such an inexpensive scope, but we'll see in a few days I suppose.

I may be wrong about this but if you use a canted base that angles your scope in a way that offsets your aimpoint further away from the center-most part of the scope, won't a small canting error be magnified to a greater degree? For that reason, a level is important.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.