A-Bolt Stock Problem

bradbeer

Hi Guys,
I have a problem with my A-Bolt 300 WM.
The screws came loose and a piece of my synthetic stock is broken. Do I need a gunsmith or is there some way I can repair this myself?

Thanks,
Brad 2014-11-07 14.11.56.jpg

You could remove some more material on the front with a dremel and then bed it. Seems like a good excuse for a stock upgrade though :)

Brad, is that a black plastic or fiber composite stock? The black plastic stocks don't allow epoxy to stick and flex too much. The fiber composite can be bedded with epoxy and chips like that are fixable on them. Like already mentioned a replacement would be in order for the plastic. Boyd's laminate stocks are just a little over $100, Bell & Carlson are around $280 and McMillan is a couple hundred more. All should have some bedding done. Good luck

Brad,

is that from an ABolt 3? It looks nothing like any stock configuration on my ABolt or ABolt 2s. The lug recess sits between the action screw and the magazine well on your picture. Also, is this a replacement stock, because all ABolts I have seen come prebedded from the factory. I don't see any indication of bedding in your picture. Just trying to understand a bit more about your problem.

I would expect that bedding the gun will help repair the stock, but I am concerned that the quality of the stock in your picture is more hard plastic and less composite like than what I am used to in factory ABolt products if that makes any sense.

Brad,

is that from an ABolt 3? It looks nothing like any stock configuration on my ABolt or ABolt 2s. The lug recess sits between the action screw and the magazine well on your picture. Also, is this a replacement stock, because all ABolts I have seen come prebedded from the factory. I don't see any indication of bedding in your picture. Just trying to understand a bit more about your problem.

I would expect that bedding the gun will help repair the stock, but I am concerned that the quality of the stock in your picture is more hard plastic and less composite like than what I am used to in factory ABolt products if that makes any sense.

I think you are right! The stock doesn't really fit all that well as it is. It says ram-line on it.
With all you're guys suggestions, I am thinking a new stock is in order. This was my uncle's rifle and it means a lot to me.
I am in canada and have no idea where to start to source a stock, so any help would be appreciated. Is glass bedding in order if I manage to find the correct stock for her? Or can I just bolt another one on?

Thanks a lot!
Brad

I think you are right! The stock doesn't really fit all that well as it is. It says ram-line on it.
With all you're guys suggestions, I am thinking a new stock is in order. This was my uncle's rifle and it means a lot to me.
I am in canada and have no idea where to start to source a stock, so any help would be appreciated. Is glass bedding in order if I manage to find the correct stock for her? Or can I just bolt another one on?

Thanks a lot!
Brad

Yep certainly time for a new stock, those ramlines aren't much of a stock. A Bell & Carlson with the aluminum bedding block is a good choice. Reasonable price and good quality but I'm not positive they make one for a Browning. McMillan and Manners are also good choices. Try stockysstocks.com and see if they ship to Canada.

Here are a few to check out. I have an Apache stock on my 25-06 and like it. Fit like a glove.

*NEW!!* Apache Laminated Thumbhole Riflestock - Browning A-Bolt

For a synthetic replacement, this is the way to go.

Bell & Carlson Medalist

Check out Boyds as well. Have several friends with them and they also fit well. There are multiple options for stock configurations that I didn't link to on Boyds.

Boyds: CLASSIC BROWNING® A-BOLT LONG ACTION FACTORY BARREL CHANNEL NUTMEG LAMINATE (FINISHED) Boyds Classic

You guys are the best!!! Thanks. For all the help. I ordered a Bell & Carlson. I's going to look great on 'ol Winny!!!

Brad

Howdy Gents, I got my Bell & Carlson stock today!!! Yeah!
I went to put it on and would you believe, it wont fit. Everything seems to line up except the barrel. I guess because it is a magnum, the barrel is quite a bit thicker. I don't want to send it back. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can relieve a synthetic stock?

Thank you,
Brad

Brad, send it back, if a larger barrel channel is available have them exchange for it. Once the stock has any alteration it's not returnable. Best to call their help line first to ask if the stock is available in your barrel contour. Otherwise get another model or a refund.

Brad, send it back, if a larger barrel channel is available have them exchange for it. Once the stock has any alteration it's not returnable. Best to call their help line first to ask if the stock is available in your barrel contour. Otherwise get another model or a refund.

I got it to fit!!!
I found a web page on fitting the B&C stock. I masking taped the barrel and used sand paper to contour the barrel into the stock. I tightened up the rear screw and left the front one loose. as I sanded, i tightened up on the front screw.
It seems to fit really nice, this way uses the barrel as a template.
I guess the range will tell if its good or not.

Brad

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.