98 mauser 300wm accuracy

I would simply go back to the original load that shot well and try it.
This should tell you if it is the rifle or not. If it doesn't shoot well with the original load, something has moved, shifted or gone out of specifications.

I would start over with first cleaning the bore to white metal, then re bed
the action. next, bed your scope bases and after all of this is done, go back and try the original load that shot so well.

Rifles don't normally damage a barrel with 2 or 3 shots, and unless the pressures are very high actions are rarely damaged or the lugs set back,so generally something changed in the attachments that could change the accuracy.

It is a detecting process to find out what changed, and it will take patience and test to identify where the problem is. take them one at a time and you should find your problem.

We can make suggestions of all sorts, and you will still have to find it yourself or take it to a qualified gunsmith for his help. This happens all the time to us and we just have to deal with it the best we can.

My recommendation is not to over think the problem and start with the simple things that can be changed first and work up to the more costly solutions.

J E CUSTOM

You could send the Douglas back for a close examination. This could help to eliminate what the problem is/was,,,,,,,, and all for the price of shipping. If something is wrong with the barrel, that is their fault, they may/might replace it. And, I just can't resist,,,,,, "a guy that used to be a gunsmith" ????
It seems I my have hit a nerve with the used to be a gunsmith.He still seem's to have all the knowledge ,but he was unable to do the work because of health problems.He is the one that came up with the phrase.

It seems I my have hit a nerve with the used to be a gunsmith.He still seem's to have all the knowledge ,but he was unable to do the work because of health problems.He is the one that came up with the phrase.
When someone says to me they know a "gunsmith" , anymore I certainly have to wonder. 26+yrs ago, when I enrolled in the 2yr gunsmithing program (an "in resident" school, not unlike an apprenticeship. attended full time), I couldn't find a competent gunsmith in the area where I live. No one could seemed to be capable of working on more than one particular firearm or doing just one 'thing'. Now, anyone who can assemble an AR or screw a pre-fit barrel on a Savage is a "gunsmith". And, I get to see the problems the self trained seem to bring upon themselves. Scope mount holes on Mausers and Springfields not on the centerline (can ya' fix it?!), forged bolt handles that won't clear even the highest mounted scopes, broken stocks from improper bedding/fitting, parts disassembled that should never be, you name it! So, forgive me if I seem to question when someone says they know "a gunsmith". Some who are self trained do OK, others are nothing short of a menace. Some get trained by a 'mentor', does the 'mentor' know the proper way? About 10% of the gunsmith school grads actually open a shop. Of those, very few (less than 1/4 of the 10%) remain in the trade longer than 2yrs. So, I always have to wonder. And those who do stay in the trade, there is no "used to be" about it, it becomes a lifes work, whether they can no long preform the work because of failing health or failing eye sight, or not. One of the finest stockmakers I ever had the privilege of meeting worked right up to the last 10 days of his life before the cancer took him. He was trying to complete some of his 'personal' projects, even though he must have had some sever pain to deal with. He wasn't just a stockmaker, he was a darned good, all round gunsmith, that had taught at Trinidad, at one time.

When someone says to me they know a "gunsmith" , anymore I certainly have to wonder. 26+yrs ago, when I enrolled in the 2yr gunsmithing program (an "in resident" school, not unlike an apprenticeship. attended full time), I couldn't find a competent gunsmith in the area where I live. No one could seemed to be capable of working on more than one particular firearm or doing just one 'thing'. Now, anyone who can assemble an AR or screw a pre-fit barrel on a Savage is a "gunsmith". And, I get to see the problems the self trained seem to bring upon themselves. Scope mount holes on Mausers and Springfields not on the centerline (can ya' fix it?!), forged bolt handles that won't clear even the highest mounted scopes, broken stocks from improper bedding/fitting, parts disassembled that should never be, you name it! So, forgive me if I seem to question when someone says they know "a gunsmith". Some who are self trained do OK, others are nothing short of a menace. Some get trained by a 'mentor', does the 'mentor' know the proper way? About 10% of the gunsmith school grads actually open a shop. Of those, very few (less than 1/4 of the 10%) remain in the trade longer than 2yrs. So, I always have to wonder. And those who do stay in the trade, there is no "used to be" about it, it becomes a lifes work, whether they can no long preform the work because of failing health or failing eye sight, or not. One of the finest stockmakers I ever had the privilege of meeting worked right up to the last 10 days of his life before the cancer took him. He was trying to complete some of his 'personal' projects, even though he must have had some sever pain to deal with. He wasn't just a stockmaker, he was a darned good, all round gunsmith, that had taught at Trinidad, at one time.
The gentlemen that I was talking about was one of the finest gunsmith's I have ever seen At one time he was the warranty gunsmith for Remington,Winchester, Weatherby and a few more.He was the Chairman of Dupont's private gunsmith He went to school In the forty's and had a shop for fifty year's.He started putting chokes in Remington shotgun 10 years before they came out in factory guns.He is 88 now and will tell he used to be a gunsmith ,but his better days are behind him.

Found a Shilen barrel that fit's my receiver. Was talking to a guy at the range and told him about my gun.Found out he used to be a gunsmith and he still had some barrels left.Gave him my number.He called that night.We put the barrel on and so far it's looking real good.I left the old one with him and he has not been able to find anything. wrong.I guess I'll never know what went wrong
The new barrel is working out real good.Used 215 gr Berger with some Retumbo and shot a jagged hole at 200 meter's at .40 off the lands

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.