98 mauser 300wm accuracy

Am I correct the 200gr. Sierra is a handload? If so, any chance you're working with a different supply of components? Do you or somebody else have a similar rifle you could use to see how well those factory Hornady rounds shoot over a longer string? Sorry if this sounds lame, just grasping at straws.

Just to cover everything did you inspect the bolt? take it apart check spring, firing pin forward tapered lugs for cracks/breaks also check rear notches for bolt shroud on F.P. Are bolt lugs in good shape? and check lug engagment with receiver for % of contact. Any cracks in stock behind rear receiver tang? Is the trigger sear edge crisp and sharp with out damage? same for the cocking piece.

Am I correct the 200gr. Sierra is a handload? If so, any chance you're working with a different supply of components? Do you or somebody else have a similar rifle you could use to see how well those factory Hornady rounds shoot over a longer string? Sorry if this sounds lame, just grasping at straws.
The Sierra's are reloads.After shooting the Hornady's I used what was left from the same batch of Sierra's. Never shot the same..The first three Hornady's was a clover leaf.After that never shot as good.No indication of pressure.Nothing sounded funny.Bolt opened up like normal.Head space was good.Bolt face was square.Chamber spec's are right on.I can not figure it out .I was hoping someone here knew something I have forgot

Just to cover everything did you inspect the bolt? take it apart check spring, firing pin forward tapered lugs for cracks/breaks also check rear notches for bolt shroud on F.P. Are bolt lugs in good shape? and check lug engagment with receiver for % of contact. Any cracks in stock behind rear receiver tang? Is the trigger sear edge crisp and sharp with out damage? same for the cocking piece.
The trigger is a new Timney I put on when the gun was built.I checked the bolt .but maybe not as close as I should have.I'll get on it.Thanks

any chance your barrel started to back out from the action? If it was only in hand tight and you had a barrel with left hand twist, it could be theoretically possible that the barrel starts to unscrew itself ...... however unlikely.

and just thinking out loud, did you tighten the barrel against the receiver face or the inner collar?

Last edited:
any chance your barrel started to back out from the action? If it was only in hand tight and you had a barrel with left hand twist, it could be theoretically possible that the barrel starts to unscrew itself ...... however unlikely.

and just thinking out loud, did you tighten the barrel against the receiver face or the inner collar?
It's tight'No one I know could turn it by hand

Since this thread is getting long can you list what you checked and how you checked it. Just trying to narrow down possible causes.

Since this thread is getting long can you list what you checked and how you checked it. Just trying to narrow down possible causes.
Start with the bolt.Took it apart and check everything.I think that was your idea.Found nothing wrong.Checked bolt face.It was square.Checked head space with go and no go gauges.It was good. Poured chamber and checked all spec's.All right on the money.Checked all screws on base and changed scopes three times in case the scope went.Rechecked bolt's on stock.Made sure barrel was clean.I have seen gun lock up and have problems later.but this gun had no sign.s of anything.The only change was the brand of ammo and the first three of them was under half inch.After that it never shot good again.All the years being around guns have I seen this.That's why I posted this to see if someone may have run into it

also, tell me about the action. code/year of mfg? condition before rebarrel? was it on a low pressure mauser cartridge or had it been previously rebarreled to something hot?

did you take off the bbl and spin it on a lathe to see if it somehow got bent? did you carefully look down the bore for shadows to see if you somehow got a small bulge from something dropping down the bore between groups? It's extremely unlikely, but possible.

other possibilities
glass bedding job? how many rounds were fired before the accuracy went? did the recoil eventually deform a poorly done job (or was an old, weak compound used? the stuff has a shelf life)

other possibilities
glass bedding job? how many rounds were fired before the accuracy went? did the recoil eventually deform a poorly done job (or was an old, weak compound used? the stuff has a shelf life)
Barrel is against the inner collar.The action is a large ring 98 Masuer. The code and date is cover up by the base.It was a 8mm masuer when I started.I did not turn the barrel on a lathe because of the why things went.I had over a 100 rounds through it when I hit on the load with the 200 gr Sierra's and had run maybe 50 of those through it when I tried the Hornady's.I did the bedding and it turn out to be one of my better jobs.

Found a Shilen barrel that fit's my receiver. Was talking to a guy at the range and told him about my gun.Found out he used to be a gunsmith and he still had some barrels left.Gave him my number.He called that night.We put the barrel on and so far it's looking real good.I left the old one with him and he has not been able to find anything. wrong.I guess I'll never know what went wrong

You could send the Douglas back for a close examination. This could help to eliminate what the problem is/was,,,,,,,, and all for the price of shipping. If something is wrong with the barrel, that is their fault, they may/might replace it. And, I just can't resist,,,,,, "a guy that used to be a gunsmith" ????

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.