85gr Hammer - 6.5 Creed

Varmint Hunter

Just for fun, I've been testing the 85gr Hammer bullets in a 26" Browning HC McMillan in 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm using Lapua SRP brass and CCI 450 primers and crimping with a Lee FCD.

Varget seems to be the favored powder for this combo so that's where I started. All groups were shot at 200yds.

As usual, I started with a moderate charge and worked up slowly. As I got closer to the top, I only increased charge weights by .2 of a grain. Standard deviations were (often) remarkably low. A previous test revealed a good node at 45.1 so I retested that charge weight first and then progressed upward. I expected to see pressure signs at about 3,500 ft/sec but that didn't happen.

200yds
45.1 Varget - 3,542-12 = grp .77"
46.5 Varget - N/A = grp 2.00"
46.7 Varget - 3,662-3.2 = grp 2.95"
46.9 Varget - 3,672 - 5 = grp .94"

Even at the highest charge weight, primers were not flat, no ejector swipe, bolt lift was normal and cases ejected smoothly. There is apparently still some room for growth. With groups under .5moa I'm going to test these again at 400yds and might try one last increment at 47.1gr.

You obviously have a "fast" barrel. Many are getting over 3500 with the CM and 85 gr HH's. You Have to be close to pressure. If you go up, do it in small increments to be safe. You've already set a record based upon posted data😁. If it goes much higher I would doubt your chrony?
If you retest, Don't be surprised at somewhat lower numbers.

You obviously have a "fast" barrel. Many are getting over 3500 with the CM and 85 gr HH's. You Have to be close to pressure. If you go up, do it in small increments to be safe. You've already set a record based upon posted data😁. If it goes much higher I would doubt your chrony?
If you retest, Don't be surprised at somewhat lower numbers.

I'm running a LabRadar. All of my other data seems to be about where it should be. I am also getting consistent readings from week to week so things look ok. Either way, I'll try a few loads next week and post results.

Recent Posts