820 Yard cow elk pics

Awsome post. I dream of a shot like that.

Nosler might be interested in that bullet and a picture for a future bullet catalog. You should give them a call.

A story like yours makes the customer I quote in my signature line that much more laughable.

Good job.

Re: NEW 820 Yard cow elk pics

Here is a few more pics of the hunt as promised.
Tom Van, I hope these pics show enough landscape. It was really foggy that day, and my photographers weren't purposely trying to take panorama shots, but I will take some shots like that when the sun comes back out!

This is a pic of the elk moving off after we started cleaning their friend. They weren't sure what we were yet.

The other pics are of us going up the trail to the shooting spot, and us (me, my dad, and my uncle Brian B) after the kill on top of the "shooting bench". Our packs were full and we hadn't even got to the elk yet! Long range hunting takes a lot of gear! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyhow, I hope you all enjoy these pics and thanks so much for your kind words. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

0037.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

goodgrouper,

Congratulations on your hunt. Perfect shot placemant and equipment performance. You just help but love those Nosler bullets!

Regards,

JD338

I tried sending a pic of the bullet to Nosler but I couldn't find an email address. Does anyone have an address for Nosler or an address for a Nosler employee I could send this to??
Much appreciated!

This is from the Nosler site. They are usually pretty good in quick responses.

==========================================================================================
If you have used Nosler on a hunt and wish for us to post your photos please email them to

[email protected]

Please put on the email what you used and a short message allowing us to post your photos.

Thanks
==========================================================================================

They have pictures of animals harvested as well as bullet performance pictures.

update:
I just recieved an e-mail from John Nosler himself and he wants to use my pics and story on the Nosler website!
Of course, I gave him permission to do so. I also made mention of this forum and I bet John will be checking it out personally. That would be great to have him here ehh?

Awesome news. Maybe, if you ask real nice you could be part of the R & D crew for them. This might mean that they "sponsor" your hunts by supplying you with brass and bullets and you would be expected to go hunting with it and report back what you are finding. Remember that there are very few people that are capable of producing retrieved bullets from those distances which is the ONLY way for them to claim how these bullets work under these extreme conditions both in accuracy and terminal effect. In other words you can provide a special type of service not easily found elsewhere. That is worth something. It works for nosler and it can work for you.

If your rifle is a stock gun and your scope is also stock I would contact them next.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Good deal! Maybe you can work yourself in there with them and get some kind of endorsement or something. Good luck!

very nice shooting, and great to see how well the accubond worked

Your rifle is familiar, I also have and like a couple of BOSS equipped Stainless Stalkers, you can see one in my photo with the sheep on my thread, I've found them to be quite accurate. I switched over to the BOSS-CR because the muzzle blast was too much for me.

Were the animals bedded or stationary grazing? I've always worried about an animal moving during the second or thereabouts you'd have in time of flight with that length of shot. I'm curious about timing such a shot.

Thanks guys for your compliments.

The elk were all bedded down when I shot the farthest one in the herd. She was partially asleep when the bullet hit her. By the time she knew what hit her, she was already done. The flight time was a little over 1 second. That is enough time to actually move slightly out of the way before the bullet gets there, so you have to watch their body language. Usually elk will freeze and watch around them when alarmed before they bolt off. This is a great time to shoot. Look for the lead cow, if she has her ears forward and her head cocked, she will be there for a second or two. If she puts her ears back and looks away from you, she is about ready to hit the after-burners!

On my desert sheep hunt 2 years ago, I shot my ram first shot at 760 yards, but it just blew it's leg off. Then it started coming closer. At 650 yards, I got impatient and fired again while he was still walking towards me. I saw the bullet impact exactly were his chest would have been, but he walked right out of the way. Luckily, he stopped at 630 and looked behind him at the dust. The third shot drilled him square in the shoulder blade and he dropped like Rosie o'Donnells ratings! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I appreciate your info on Elk hunting and bullet performance. Here in Missouri I can't seem to locate a long range shot. So, I have to rely on info from you guys for the day it finally comes (probably out west). Anyway, keep feeding us the tips on Elk hunting...great stuff. P.s. Not to get off track here, but would CTR mean anything to you or Brass Bender???

[ QUOTE ]
Not to get off track here, but would CTR mean anything to you or Brass Bender???

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean Choose The Remington, or Choose The Right?

It seems that dang near everyone west of the Mississippi and east of the Sierra Nevadas knows what CTR means. Just ask them if they're Mormon if thats what you want to know. We don't mind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.