8 yr old’s first centerfire experience

These are the moments we will all cherish for life whether we are the mentor or the kid.

I've had a lot of thrills over the years in the field but none I'll cherish as much in many years as last year taking Mario's son out and getting him a clean kill on his first hog.

To get even close to that I have to go back nearly 20 years with taking my very young nieces out for their first shooting and hunting adventures.

Oregonian both you and your son can be very proud of yourselves. There is something very special about the first time our child shoots something or catches their first fish.

My wife cried over her first rabbit, shivered over her first deer(I think I was shivering also) and was laughing releasing her first white marlin. I can remember the weather and the seas for all of them.

It's wild what you remember about your kids. My daughter was runner up in the Ohio State trap shoot 11-13 girls..Shes now 33 and a world class Body Builder and Powerlifter. She can fish a drop shot rig or flip a jig and pig better than most men!
And a 6 year Navy Vet...I'm a happy dad!

Attachments

• 50308-kellyn-huehnpetersen-137_final.jpg
    50308-kellyn-huehnpetersen-137_final.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 260
  • 10646858_1461838597435375_4727758502550450855_n.jpg
    10646858_1461838597435375_4727758502550450855_n.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 121
It's wild what you remember about your kids. My daughter was runner up in the Ohio State trap shoot 11-13 girls..Shes now 33 and a world class Body Builder and Powerlifter. She can fish a drop shot rig or flip a jig and pig better than most men!
And a 6 year Navy Vet...I'm a happy dad!
In the 90's my step sister was #3 in the world as a power lifter, home coming queen, place kicker, and capt of the gir's volleyball and basketball teams, FFA Queen, and valedictorian of her class.

You deserve to be a very proud dad.

Whatever he ends up with have him wear ear plugs and ear muffs. The noise is often scarier for new shooters than the recoil and they confuse the noise with the recoil creating flinching.

Eric B.

WR tell us some more about Mario's son and his hunt. Was this his first large animal, his age, rifle caliber, brake, and had he been shooting for a while.

Whatever he ends up with have him wear ear plugs and ear muffs. The noise is often scarier for new shooters than the recoil and they confuse the noise with the recoil creating flinching.

Eric B.
I completely agree. Heard many folks mention this and I made sure to do it. It makes a huge difference...I took my daughter with me several years ago just as an observer and she hated it bc of the noise. And be sure to use the electronic muffs so you can talk to them while they have all that ear pro on.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.