which new caliber for 13 yr old

cole

My boy has been and will be shooting his 243 this year. Next year he will be ready for more gun. I want a caliber big enough for Elk, but deffinately not a magnum. I've been considering 308 7-08 270 and 270wsm. I will probably put a muzzlebrake on gun. I do reload. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Cole

i would look at a 30-06 or a 300wsm. my little girl shoots my 300wsm and she only 9 and weighs 60#. the gun has a good brake on it and weighs 15#. i would bet your son is way bigger than her. A rifle with a good brake and some weight is the ticket to a kid shooting a larger rifle.

I would get him in a 7-08 w/out a muzzle brake because it is often the blast from the rifle that causes flinching as much as the actual recoil. You are always better off getting him in a small rifle that he can shoot well. Also, I'm assuming that you don't want a rifle that is increadibly heavy --- all the more reason to stay away from a much bigger rifle.

Thanks for replies! Heres a little more info. Yes we are mostly hunters, so a light to medium weight rifle is more practical. My son is a very experienced shooter for his age. He has taken 100's of Prairie dogs and 2 whitetail bucks. He weighs 85 pounds. He shoots his 243 rem model 7, weighs about 6.5 pounds, without a brake of course. He can shoot around 50 -60 shells before it starts to bother him at all.
I have been looking at the 7-08 alot. looks like a great caliber. What would you say is the effective Elk range? I' ve also seen some great muzzle brakes that can be turned off. Great for the shooting range and hunting situation.
This year my son will be hunting antelope, mule deer and whitetail deer.
Next year we will add Elk.
Thanks all!

If you are talking Medium weight (7.5-9#) rifles, with muzzle brake, why not go for the .308. More bullet offerings in the hunting range. I can't knock the 7mm-08 though (great cartridge). I would go at least 7mm-08, but I wouldn't rule out .30-06 range. Since you reload, you can create reduced loads. I make reduced loads in .30-06 for my 10 year old nephew. He shoots it real well, considering the fact that it is a full size gun. I hunt with 130gr @ 2700fps out of my .30-06. It works very well, and I stress the very part.

He already has a .243, in my opinion the 7-08 is too close to the same power level to be a viable option (I own a .243 and 2 7-08's, so I'm not biased). I feel they are both too small for elk (kinda like giving a new shooter a .410 and sending them after waterfowl). Since you reload, I'd get him something that is a definite step up in power and simply have 2 loads (one for tons of practice, and the other for hunting). Even the hunting load doesn't need to be at the top of the power curve, but you may be surprised at how much he grows in the next year and just how much power HE will want.

I started shooting a 7mm Rem Mag when I was 13. It was a bit much for the first year, but after that, watch out.

There are so many great calibers it's tough to choose, but I'd lean towards a 300WSM, load some 308 power loads in a light bullet until he want's a little more umphh! There is great brass available, it's a short action caliber and is known for it's accuracy. It can be loaded up to levels that will take anything in north america and can be reduce loaded to very mild levels as well. 30 caliber has the greatest selection of bullets for reloading of any caliber as well.

I still shoot the same 7mm RM I was given when I was your sons age (new barrel, stock and trigger though :D) and it is my favorite rifle. Get him something he can grow up with.

AJ

I would go with the 7mm-08. Great bullet selection, readily available factory ammo, and plenty mild so as not to intimidate a young shooter. With all due respect the .243 and 7mm-08 are not even remotely close when it comes to big game capability, the only thing they share is a parent cartridge.

I would go with the 7mm-08. Great bullet selection, readily available factory ammo, and plenty mild so as not to intimidate a young shooter. With all due respect the .243 and 7mm-08 are not even remotely close when it comes to big game capability, the only thing they share is a parent cartridge.

I've seen Elk killed with both 7-08 and .243. They are both underpowered as an elk cartridge. I've killed several dozen big game animals and I could take either cartridge and kill an elk out to 250 yards or further. BUT, I would not allow a beginner to carry either one after Elk. Thats just me. A .243 loaded near max with a 95gr Nosler will give you around 1900ft lbs, a 7-08 loaded up with 140 gr bullets will give you around 500 more ft lbs. I would agree that the 7-08 is more capable, but it is still wanting in the big-game category when you are talking about Elk sized game.

AJ

Last edited:
I've seen Elk killed with both 7-08 and .243. They are both underpowered as an elk cartridge. I've killed several dozen big game animals and I could take either cartridge and kill an elk out to 250 yards or further. BUT, I would not allow a beginner to carry either one after Elk. Thats just me. A .243 loaded near max with a 95gr Nosler will give you around 1900ft lbs, a 7-08 loaded up with 140 gr bullets will give you around 500 more ft lbs. I would agree that the 7-08 is more capable, but it is still wanting in the big-game category when you are talking about Elk sized game.

AJ

Game animals have been taken with all many of weaponry over the years some very misguided. The 7mm-08 with a good hand loaded 160 partition and ranges kept under 200yds. would be a better combo than any .243 load imho.

Game animals have been taken with all many of weaponry over the years some very misguided. The 7mm-08 with a good hand loaded 160 partition and ranges kept under 200yds. would be a better combo than any .243 load imho.

I agree totally, that still does not make the 7-08 a good option as an elk rifle.

Especially for a young hunter:
1) That has not hunted out west to judge distance.
2) That is not 'a good hand' yet.
3) That already has a .243 (which is essentially in the same power category).
4) Has not seen tons of elk to gauge their distance, be calm etc.

AJ

I agree totally, that still does not make the 7-08 a good option as an elk rifle.

Especially for a young hunter:
1) That has not hunted out west to judge distance.
2) That is not 'a good hand' yet.
3) That already has a .243 (which is essentially in the same power category).
4) Has not seen tons of elk to gauge their distance, be calm etc.

AJ

I disagree with almost all of your premises. First of all he shouldn't be alone. he needs to be proficient with whatever he uses, and the .243 is not in the same class 500ft.lbs is a HUGE difference and btw KE is a terrible judge of killing power. 200yds and under the 7mm-08 combo would be lethal to any elk.

I disagree with almost all of your premises. First of all he shouldn't be alone. he needs to be proficient with whatever he uses, and the .243 is not in the same class 500ft.lbs is a HUGE difference and btw KE is a terrible judge of killing power. 200yds and under the 7mm-08 combo would be lethal to any elk.

OK, I give. A 7mm-08 is a great Elk cartridge, as long as he is not alone, is proficient, takes only perfect shots. I also agree that KE is a horrible determiner of killing power. What would you like to use? Taylor's knockout formula? Whatever you use, you will find that when looking at all possible cartridges, the .243 and 7mm-08 are NOT far apart.

I have one question, have you ever seen a large bull hit in the shoulder bone with something the size of a 7mm-08? I have. Actually, it was a .280 Rem, which is considerably heavier than a 7mm-08. After 2 days of looking, the hunter found the 5x6 bull dead in the cedars. It was an 'almost perfect shot' except it happened to hit the shoulder bone.

I'm done here, BigBoreDan can answer any of your questions from here on out.

AJ

what would be wrong with a classic 270? he should be able to shoot it fine, at any thing he wanted, out to 350-400 yards. and he could "graduate" up to something bigger later on, if he wanted. This is the progression i made, 243, 270, 7mm rem mag, and I think, my next project will be a 7 stw or a 7 ultra. and plus doesn't everyone need to own at least one 270 sometime in there life?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.