8" or 9" Twist for .223 ?

Inukshuk

Inukjuak, Canadian Eastern Arctic 59 parallel
8\" or 9\" Twist for .223 ?

I'm getting there, but am now down to choosing which twist rate to choose for future .223. It would be for using 50gr up to 77 gr. and shooting as far as 700-1,000 yrds.
At this point does it make a lot of difference or simply choose the rifle I'm more attracted to and deal with it? I know the general rule is faster is better, BUT!

Re: 8\" or 9\" Twist for .223 ?

On the Berger website the recomended twist for the 77gr VLD is 8" the 70gr and 73gr recommend 9". I would think that for long range you probably want to use the bigger 77gr. As long as you stay above the 50gr on the small side you won't have to worry too much about overstabalizing. http://www.bergerbullets.com/

Hi get an 8 twist if you can the 8 twist will stabalise 80gr match projectiles and some will stabalise the 90's. I have shot 50gr Blitzking out of a 223 with a 6.8 twist and they grouped under 1/2 moa at 200 yards so you are fine there. I have heard that the new Rem SPS Varmint has an 8 twist i think if it is true that could be an option and you could get a take off stock from anothe factory Remington for around $100 on the sites in either the Sendaro or Laminated pattern.

The 9 twists will stabalise the 75gr A MAx, Hornady 75gr HPBT Match and all the Sierra's up to the 77gr MAtchKings so their are plenty thrtr to use. I have shot the 75gr HPBT's to 1000 yards in the 223 and they shoot well. They grouped seccond to the 80gr Sierra's at 1000 yards. In the 6.8 twist i have shot .230" high groups at 300 yards .800" wide and under 6" 5 shot groups at 1000 yards with under 4" elevation.

Hope it helps

Cheers Bill
Australia

I'd go with an 8, simply because the reports are that the 8's seem to do better with the heavies and a wider assortment of the lighter bullets, 9's seem to do "soso" with either.
JS

Have you thought about maybe going with the 1-8.5 twist. I was in the same dilemma with 6x284 project. Some were suggesting a 1-8 twist and others were recommending a 1-9 twist. So, I decide on what barrel I was going to use, I called Krieger and told them what bullets I would be using, and they told me the 1-8.5 twist would work perfect. If I were you, I would call the barrel maker and ask for their advice.

Wildcat

[ QUOTE ]
Have you thought about maybe going with the 1-8.5 twist. I was in the same dilemma with 6x284 project. Some were suggesting a 1-8 twist and others were recommending a 1-9 twist. So, I decide on what barrel I was going to use, I called Krieger and told them what bullets I would be using, and they told me the 1-8.5 twist would work perfect. If I were you, I would call the barrel maker and ask for their advice.

Wildcat

[/ QUOTE ]

Wildcat

I'm going for a factory rifle. If it was to be custom it would be a different story as you mention. So far from what everybody has been telling me on 4 different forums is to go for the 8 twist, which gives me a lot more possibilities. And at that twist I'd end up with a Tikka. I haven't yet found anything else with an 8" twist. I was looking at another one but it's rate is 9". I do like Tikka though since I already have one, but am open to other options if and when found.

I apologize, I should have read your post a little better. I agree with the others, I would go with the 1-8 twist too. I think you will be happy with that decision.

Wildcat

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.