7STW load data with Retumbo?

500mag_guy

Hello guys new to the 7STW section of the board and I promise I already read the 25 page reloading thread before I posted this trying to keep from having you guys repeat your selves in a hundred threads on the same thing. Lol

Any ways I had picked up a Winchester model 70 Laredo LRH 26 inch barrel 7mm STW back probably 3 or 4 years ago. It was brand new in box never fired and I got it For a screaming price. After I had shown it to my father he began looking for one for himself with no luck finding one in like new condition. It was a safe queen just collecting dust and I had not even shot it yet. Father's Day came around and I gave it to my dad because he had always wanted one I had also collected dies and 300ct. New Remington Brass that I also had given him.

this year he decided that he wanted to put some glass on it and hunt with it so i had him bring it back over to me so I could build up a load for it. He also reloads but he'll settle for a MOA group where as I don't settle until I have a Cloverleaf or better.

I've got the following for bullets:

~Berger vld hunting 168gr
~Hornady SST 154gr
~Barnes TSX 150gr
~Nosler Ballistic Tips 150gr

He had brought over a lb of retumbo but I couldn't really find much data in the threads for loads with retumbo. I have a pound of 7828ssc that I can throw at it also.

Wondering if anyone is using Retumbo or if they have a preference on powder with this caliber. 7828ssc?

Thanks for any help you guys can share on this.

Well I had a 5lb can of rl-22 i had forgot about so I decided to try a load of 71gr at max magazine length. 1.5gr under max (recommended) load from Bergers load data.

Over the last 8+ hours I started breaking her in. Shoot, clean, wait 15 minutes. For 5 rounds then let her rest for 30-45 minutes. Did that for 20 rounds down the tube. (Gotta love breaking in a barrel)

Wanted to send 3 more this time to see what kind of group I could get with a new barrel and Bergers set at magazine length..

Sent off the first round and felt really good about it. Second I felt a slight pull and third felt awesome. Two holes, my pull and then a hole just big enough to tell two bullets went trough. Can't seem to post pictures to the 7mmSTW section right now for some reason.

I was blown away with this group with Bergers not right off the lands.

Factory Sendero 1in9.25 twist at 4200 ft. elevation here. I shoot 168gr Barnes LRX on top of 82gr Retumbo. Barnes says this bullet won't stabilize in my rifle at this elevation, but it does just fine. My load is as the top end of safe, so if you use it, start lower and work up!
Good friend of mine uses 7828ssc for his STW, and he uses 150 grain bullets. If you stick in the 150 range, its a fantastic powder. Any heavier, and go with Retumbo, H1000, etc.
(Actually Retumbo sucks, give it to me and I'll dispose of it for you :D)

Awesome I really appreciate the reply. I think I'm going to shoot a 5 shot group tomorrow to make sure today's very tight three shot group wasn't a fluke and if it shoots as good as it did today I will just stick with the rl-22 under the 168gr Bergers and bring this tack driver back to my father.

As to the retumbo sucks comment:D.. Retumbo doesn't suck for me it's actually my 300 rum pushing a 230gr Berger that sucks a lb of retumbo away in a HELL of a hurry! gun) Lol

Factory Sendero 1in9.25 twist at 4200 ft. elevation here. I shoot 168gr Barnes LRX on top of 82gr Retumbo. Barnes says this bullet won't stabilize in my rifle at this elevation, but it does just fine. My load is as the top end of safe, so if you use it, start lower and work up!
Good friend of mine uses 7828ssc for his STW, and he uses 150 grain bullets. If you stick in the 150 range, its a fantastic powder. Any heavier, and go with Retumbo, H1000, etc.
(Actually Retumbo sucks, give it to me and I'll dispose of it for you :D)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.