7saum 2.870"

ARlife4me

with this being a limiting factor, what is the heaviest bullet(s) you've loaded for this? powder and velocity isn't of interest, but can be added if you want? i'm not looking for debates, just possible suggestions for anything 180 and heavier. going from published data it varies across what there is? i know that some will be seated deep or deeper than what could be best depth as 168-175's are more of the choice for this depth.

I agree with LVJ76 with the powders. I would add N560 and RL26 to the RL23 and H4350. Anything slower and you're going to be way compacted and even compacted you will never get decent velocities. I hate the 2.870 number! All my loads I use are 3.136" to 3.172"! 😂😂😂

The only SA I ever loaded for loved the 168's and N560. I was .132" off lands and gave me a 2.840" COAL. It was a 1/4 moa load and shot amazing. If you want the details of the load pm me. I will add that there are very long and forgiving nodes When you get past that -0.120" off and deeper mark.

Last edited:
I agree with LVJ76 with the powders. I would add N560 and RL26 to the RL23 and H4350. Anything slower and you're going to be way compacted and even compacted you will never get decent velocities. I hate the 2.870 number! All my loads I use are 3.136" to 3.172"! 😂😂😂

The only SA I ever loaded for loved the 168's and N560. I was .132" off lands and gave me a 2.840" COAL. It was a 1/4 moa load and shot amazing. If you want the details of the load pm me. I wai add that there are very long and forgiving nodes When you get past that -0.120" off and deeper mark.
Being in an ar10 has limits and it's the 2.870". Thus the question? I agree that it's short, but it is what it is. Doing my best to keep the boattail out of the body, but might have some in it?

I have run into this with quite a few rifle designs, particularly SA and standard action magnums.
I have always just compromised and gone with it.
My Kimber 8400 Select adores 200g Accubonds, but with the standard mag length of 3.4", this leaves a lot of bullet in the case.
When I bought my Talkeetna 375H&H, I noticed I could alter my 300WM to use the 3.6" length box and follower and changing the ejector blade, it works flawlessly.
My Winchester EW is the same, but can't get parts through Winchester to convert it.

Cheers.

I have run into this with quite a few rifle designs, particularly SA and standard action magnums.
I have always just compromised and gone with it.
My Kimber 8400 Select adores 200g Accubonds, but with the standard mag length of 3.4", this leaves a lot of bullet in the case.
When I bought my Talkeetna 375H&H, I noticed I could alter my 300WM to use the 3.6" length box and follower and changing the ejector blade, it works flawlessly.
My Winchester EW is the same, but can't get parts through Winchester to convert it.

Cheers.
Another member here said he gor a follower blade for his WInchester from Browning. Use a 375 H&H follower on the 300WM, after remeving the spacer.

Last edited:
I have loaded to 2.95" COL, so a little more room for powder, but not shorter than that. with a 24" Carbon Six barrel, I started with H1000 and was able to get just under 2800 FPS with a 175 ABLR. I recently tried Retumbo and got an extra 50 fps. I got to 64.0gr and heard no crush when seating bullets and zero pressure issues I could notice. I am going to push to 64.5gr and see what happens. I believe the SAUM cartridge is naturally something that can be pushed beyond conventional limits, especially with slow burning magnum powders. Not sure how it would go in an AR. Have you considered milling out the front of a magazine to let the nose of the bullet sit out past the mag? I used to do that with 224 Valkyrie 80gr handloads. Then your limiting factor is interior side of the AR magwell. You might be able to get to 2.9" COL or something like that. I didn't measure one of mine just going off of what I remember when I thought about going down that road with a 284 WIN custom Uintah Precision bolt action upper and LAW folding stock adaptor. Then strip everything to it's lightest part, foldable backcountry 7mm bolt action for the 7mm man....

Being in an ar10 has limits and it's the 2.870". Thus the question? I agree that it's short, but it is what it is. Doing my best to keep the boattail out of the body, but might have some in it?
Understand the AR10 platform. Just giving what I saw with my experience. It will work basically and can exceptionally. Was not meaning "ditch the gas platform" just saying it can and will work if you push them deep and use the correct powders.

with this being a limiting factor, what is the heaviest bullet(s) you've loaded for this? powder and velocity isn't of interest, but can be added if you want? i'm not looking for debates, just possible suggestions for anything 180 and heavier. going from published data it varies across what there is? i know that some will be seated deep or deeper than what could be best depth as 168-175's are more of the choice for this depth.
My hunting rifle is a 7 SAUM and I love it. First off, I load to 2.910 as it is a mid length action. That seating gives me a .030 jump with a 160 BT. I have tried many different rounds such as 130 Hammers, 150 SST and 150 GK. I prefer a little heavier bullet so played with several 160-165 and settled on 160g BT that delievers 3/8" groups and 3,025 V. it loves that bullet and N560 at 62.5 with 215m and ADG brass. The barrel is a 24" with a 8.7 twist and I use a can on it. The burn is nearly 100% and zero pressure signs. It may be on the low side of heavies for that caliber but the energy is great at that speed.
I played with seating from 2.850 to 2.930 and the best group was 2.870 at 1/4" groups. Choose the longer round at 2.910 as the ES was better and still a great group.
The clean cold bore shot is only 1/4" off and the fouled cold bore is the same POI as a warm shot.
The barrel now has 322+ rounds through it and I have only lost .004 in throat erosion.
Lover that caliber.

Another member here said he gor a follower blade for his WInchester from Browning. Use a 375 H&H follower on the 300WM, after remeving the spacer.
Tried that, they told me those parts weren't available as 'spares', only listed as 'restricted'.
Funny thing, I own a Model 70 Classic Stainless and the parts from that just quite don't fit the EW…

Cheers.