7RUM Build reamer and freebore

7RUMER

I am Working on building a 7Rum to shoot the 195 EOL Berger's. Having a custom 8.3 twist barrel built and a custom reamer. My plan was to build the reamer to fit a dummy round with the 195 that has a COAL that would fit in the mag and allow me to touch the lands by shortening the throat. I know this has been said to cause some pressure signs earlier. Have any of you build a 7 RUM without the freebore like this and if so how did it work?

Based on my experience, you do not want to be anywhere near the lands with a 7 RUM. It looks like the standard freebore of .300" - .500" is crazy, but with this round, you need it to control the huge pressure spikes you can easily run into. I would consult several competent smiths familiar with the 7 RUM, PRIOR to going shorter than .300" freebore on your reamer. I found the Berger Classics and Hybrids to take the long jump very well.

All with 26" Krieger BBL. BBL is throated for 180 Berger VLD's .060" freebore

180 Berger VLD 91.2 grs Retumbo 3160 fps - shoots in the .4's
190 Matrix VLD 89 grs Retumbo 3075 fps - shoots in the .2's when I am on

IMO I would shoot nothing below 168 gr bullets. My STW would shoot 140's faster than my first RUM with less powder.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.