7PCR vs 284shehane or other 7mm

Same as what others have said.
7/6.5 PRC-C
I use the Eric Cortina reamer from Manson.
I have a 284 but don't shoot as much since Lapua stopped making brass for it and I haven't seen Peterson Brass in a long time either. However, even my LGS has 6.5 PRC Brass. With Lapua, Peterson and ADG (hopefully Alpha soon)making 6.5 PRC Brass… it's a no-brainer.
it easily gets me to 1400 yards at a 500 foot elevation and has more than enough energy at 800 yards and in for hunting.

Attachments

• 7 PRCW (public) 2.pdf
    251.9 KB · Views: 92
The comments on the 7 PRC are all valid. I'm not intending to be dismissive or contrary, but in the realm of 7mm ultra-accuracy, might want to look at the 7mm PRCW. I'm not sure of what makes it different, but Eric Cortina has won numerous championships on 1000yd comps. Jist another idea to consider.
The PRCW is a 6.5 PRC neck out to 7mm and I believe the shoulder angle is steeper. his reamer is made by Alex Wheeler or at least its made to his dimensions.

Afternoon, this year I plan to build or buy a rifle to shoot LR. I want something in 7mm/.284 and I want some opinions of people who have some more knowledge or made the wrong purchase in the past. The only stipulations I truly have are the caliber being 7mm/.284 and I want to be able to build it on a tikka receiver. I have also considered the Xbolt MaxLR in 7prc. The rifle will have a low chance of being used for hunting but it's possible. I will be reloading and have reloaded in the past however am just getting back into a place in my life now where I can get back into it. The range closest to me is 800y and there is a 1000 and 1800 within driving distance however I would likely only be able to get out to the longer range every couple months. I was originally looking at the 7prc however as I was looking, I found the 284 Shehane and it seems like it might suit my purposes with a lower powder use however forming the brass would eat up some of that. Buying made brass would be nice but not required. The 7prc would be built on a tikka 695 receiver or a bought browning and the 284 on a newer tikka. Any suggestions from y'all I have been debating this for a few months and can't make up my mind enough truly to "pull the trigger" so any input is appreciated or enough suggestions to conflict me for another couple months.
You say to shoot long range, is that hunting or target?

I have quite a few 7mms. All of these are good options, 7saum and straight 284 win are among my favorite. 284 is much better out of a medium or long action and if target shooting to 800-1000 is more than enough. If you want easiest build and components the 7prc or smaller 7-6.5 prc (about the same as the 284 win) are all good options. If you want more another possibility on a magnum length action is the 7-300 prc.

But given 800 yards 284win or 7-6.5 probably make the most sense.

Do the 7 PRC to start IMO. It'll have good quality brass available, lots of information to compare to, easy die support, just in general less of a niche case. Might be better in a factory repeater action also, there are instances of the rebated rim on the 284 Win case (Shehane parent) having feeding issues. I've never personally had any with 6.5-284 (don't have a straight 284 repeater), but never done a Tikka repeater myself either, and the smith I use said I was on my own if there were any feeding issues when I insisted on 6.5-284. He's a real-deal smith too, and got it working even after saying that because he's a perfectionist 🤣

There's no bad answer here. Pick one, shoot the heck out of it. I use a Berger 184gn F-Opens in my 284 Win, and the 190 Hybrids in 7 PRC, both are a great choice.
I will always be A 7M remmag guy. It's hard to pick apart something that has been so great over. It's entire existence that's why I own 3. It's amazing how good the rifle shoots. And I can't find myself ever owning something else. Don't get me wrong. I have 6.5 270 and so on. In my save, but my preferred rifle is the 7 app.

I have a switch barrel built on a bighorn action. That's the nice thing about those actions, just swap out the bolt head and you're in business. I shot F-class and hunted with the 284 Shehane for a few years. I like it, however, forming brass can be a pain. I used 180 hybrids @ 2850fps. Very accurate. However, once the 7 PRC came out, it caught my eye. So I took a chance and bought a pre-fit barrel, which for those of you that don't know, pre-fits work very well with Zermatt bighorn actions. They are know for holding some of the tightest tolerances action to action. I got the barrel, dropped in the go, no/go and it was perfect. Started out with factory ammo to get a baseline and model some loads in quick load using H1000, Peterson and Hornady brass and 180 Hybrids. I have been very impressed with this cartridge! I have spent some time shooting from 100 out to 1200 yards, very consistent water line and groups at all ranges. Recoil is smooth and manageable for a magnum cartridge. So, I'm sold, I ordered a proof carbon barrel, which BTW shots light out also, and my son will be taking it to Alaska for a Caribou hunt this year. Looking forward to seeing how it performs.

BTW the factory offerings for Hornady are very impressive. I would have no reservations about taking a 5-600 yard shot with their Ammo. So if you don't reload or you had a brain fart and forgot your ammo you're still in business provided you can find some at the local sporting goods store.

So, that's the way I would go if I were you. 7PRC.

In case you are curious about his set up;
XLR Envy long action chassie,
Zermatt, TL3 long action
Bixn-Andy trigger
26" proof carbon fiber 1:8 twist, 7PRC
little bastard brake
Vortex AMG
11 lbs

Last edited:
I have a 7 PRC and a 284. For targets only, I would choose the 284 with Lapua brass. Both rifles are extremely easy to load for. I think barrel life would be better in the 284 and less recoil. There's a reason it's been so popular in the benchrest circles. But, when it comes to hunting I'm grabbing my 7 PRC.

I'm Not sure if it will fit in the tikka mag but you could single feed and a 7 FCP is a good round. I have a buddy that shoot it in fclass and shoot steel at long range, and it carry good speed. He is shooting 180 Bergers at 3050 fps

Sorry for the late reply to you all I've had a really busy couple days at work. However, to answer some questions.
I will mostly be using it for paper/steel out to 800, occasionally 1800.
I have other rifles I hunt with however if I use the rifle for hunting the current longest shot, I could make is around 430 yards at any of the properties I have access to. Any further than that and it would be a pipe dream of going out west or to Texas
For the max COAL my buddy has an older Tikka 695 (not 595) and the id of the mag box is 3.5 so as long as I don't want to load .016 over the 7prc COAL I would be ok and if I was, I would be fine with single feeding.
I really appreciate all the replies and suggestions.
However, from the many replies it seems the 7PRC, 7SAUM, 7PRCW seem to be my best options, I am quite interested in the 7PRCW, does anyone have some good information about it I really didn't see much online past a few youtube vids.

"paper/steel out to 800, occasionally 1800."

That's a huge jump 800 to 1800…. My opinion would be 180 gr or heavier projectiles and the more FPS the better to stay supersonic. I don't shoot out to 1800 so my suggestion doesn't count…. @bsnyder shoots way out there several times a week, maybe he can suggest something. Good luck!