7mmstw Reamer for 168 vld

chattduck

I have a 7mm barrel on order and have decided to go with the stw. It will go on a 700 action with a wyatts box. I just wondered if anyone on here has been down this road and could recommend a throat length which will work with the magazine and allow the vld to seat into the lands. I sent PTG an email and basically they just recommend sending a dummy round for measurement.

When trying to get the most form a mag box, how close can the cartridge length be to the magazine max length and still have proper feeding?

How do the 168 vld bergers compare to say the 160 accubond of maybe a 160 barnes in trems of seating length? If I cut a throat to maximize the vld and still want to shoot other bullets, where will they come out in terms of relationship to the lands? I am frustrated with the long throats that some with factory rifles and want to be able to get the most out of this setup.

Any help will be appreciated.

Gary

I have a 7mm barrel on order and have decided to go with the stw. It will go on a 700 action with a wyatts box. I just wondered if anyone on here has been down this road and could recommend a throat length which will work with the magazine and allow the vld to seat into the lands. I sent PTG an email and basically they just recommend sending a dummy round for measurement.

When trying to get the most form a mag box, how close can the cartridge length be to the magazine max length and still have proper feeding?

How do the 168 vld bergers compare to say the 160 accubond of maybe a 160 barnes in trems of seating length? If I cut a throat to maximize the vld and still want to shoot other bullets, where will they come out in terms of relationship to the lands? I am frustrated with the long throats that some with factory rifles and want to be able to get the most out of this setup.

Any help will be appreciated.

Gary

Lots of good questions.

First- if you intend to use the magazine .020 thousandths is my minimum clearance.

Second- If you throat the chamber to fit the vlds and still fit in the mag you will have to seat
the accubonds and Match kings much deeper in the case to keep from forcing the bullets
into the lands.

Long Throats/freebore are for safety with heavy loads and max velocity. but can be made to
shoot very well by setting the headspace at zero and/or fire forming and neck sizing only.

If you short chamber the big magnums you will give up some velocity because of reduced powder charges to stay within safe pressures. EXAMPLE; If you short chamber the freebore
on a Weatherby cartrige you won't be able use factory ammo in it (to much pressure).

J E CUSTOM

I use a standard 7STW reamer for chambering and then use a throating reamer to lengthen the throat to a particular bullet/OAL. It gives me more flexability as to what can be done that way. Reamers made to other dimentions will only cut those dimentions without being altered by a tool maker.

What would the throat length of a standard STW reamer be? I have looked at a few drawings, but the throat length and or freebore was not shown.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.