7MM XLRT (Extreme Long Range Target)

Swamplord

And yet another 7mm Wildcat !

7MM XLRT ....Extreme Long Range Target ........ (7mm Accelerate ?)

I gave it a name that was simple and meant something cool we all could relate to ....

Do we need it ? Is it necessary ? My answer is Hell Yes !....let me explain...

Although I have never been a big 7mm fan and relied on 30 cals exclusively for all my hunting in the last 30 or so years, all that has changed with a simple addition of the long sought after 190+ gr bullets that were previously unavailable.

Marshal at Matrix Ballistics beat Berger to the punch with his introduction of the 190 gr VLD,
John and Al at Whiskey 3 Precision played a huge part in my reinvigorated interest in the 7mm caliber by coming forth with their steel tipped Tac-PM RBT 195 gr and 208 gr bullets, I quickly returned to my rendition of the 7mm PRO I shelved some time ago, simply a necked up 6.5 Prometheus with no other changes...... (338 Norma Mag parent case)

Then with a spark of pure genius ( haha) I decided to have a bit of fun with this one and make it all the more special.....

I tweaked all the dimensions of the case to show the number "7" ! with the changes I gained 2.7 gr of capacity .... also the case length at 2.502 has a trim to length of 2.497", another 7 !!

The cartidge oal of 3.507" reflects a Berger 180 gr VLD Hunting bullet seated with only half the boat tail past the neck/shoulder junction allowing for the heavier bullets to seat right at the junction with zero impact on the case capacity, which is a healthy 107.7 gr h20 to the top of the case,,,, with the neck cut off at 2.175" capacity is 104.2 gr h20.
Quick Design proved to be spot on with case h20 capacity predictions for the 6.5 PRO and .375 PRO based on my water weight tests on fired cases, so I feel confident the predictions for the 7mm XLRT are accurate as well.

I researched all the current 7mm's (including wildcats) and saw that neck lengths varied from about .280" to .375" , going in the middle of those two lengths gave me .327"...yessir..another 7....... .327" off from 2.502" gave me 2.175"....I was grinnin' then !
of course I gave it a 37 degree neck ! why wouldn't I ?

I was also messing with a 7mm/26 Nosler (28 Nosler) but have since abandoned that project, case capacity was not quite what I wanted for the heavy bullets, same reason I gave up on the 375 Ruger case a few years back when it hit the scene...... .... so I put my efforts 100% into this new "Lucky Seven" cartridge...

I am happy to report that I have discussed it with Dave Kiff @ PT&G (he liked the name "7mm Lucky Seven") ....... and now a reamer is in the works for my new proprietary wildcat the " 7mm XLRT " ......

what do y'all think ...7mm Lucky Seven or 7mm XLRT ???

With the results obtained from my recent tests with my 6.5 PRO & 375 PRO wildcats.. (same parent case)
I believe this cartridge will match and exceed the 7mm RUM in velocity with less powder and have better throat life and should be extremely accurate as has been proven many times with the 338 Norma, 300 Norma and wildcats spawned from these cases......

Attachments

• 7mm XLRT (Extreme Long Range Target).jpg
    7mm XLRT (Extreme Long Range Target).jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 622
Last edited:
Swamplord you know we love ya brotherman!!!
Keep us posted and you can best believe we are gonna make you happy and others happy with some heavy weights in 7mm being the industry decided to take a dump on everyone's chest and not release the projos they said they would.

We found our market and it's who we were after the entire time.....the discriminating shooter!

Best of luck and let's set some records for everyone to see bro!!

Swamplord I say you name it 7mm lucky seven instead of 7mm XLRT cause I can think of seven different things to do with that cartridge and none of those seven include targets

Im tagging in, how readily available is the norma brass? In fps what are yoi thinking a 180 vld to do? Rite now i am running 3140 easily with 75 grains of h1000 shoots tite.

I am sold though since my b day is 7/7

+1 for the "7 LS".
Don't want to be buying the barrels for that one but sure am interested to hear the results!!

our numbers are so close its amazing. should have mine running in sept. +1 on 7mm ls.

Anybody else prefer the name 7mm Lucky Seven vs. the 7mm XLRT ?

This reamer will be available only to LRH members if anyone chooses to build one, so choose wisely, I have a bit of time yet to rename the reamer print before reamer production....

How about 7mm LRH ( Long Range Hunter ) ? How about it Len ? an official LRH 7mm cartridge ....

kinda like the "24 HR Campfire" boys did some years back !

Morning everyone

I have 3 guns now that are chambered in 7/338 Norma XR

They are built with a 35 degree improved design but a longer neck for the vld's.

1 gun has a 7 twist to shoot 192 grain Cutting Edge bullets. The other 2 are a 1-9 and a 1-8.5 twist.

Still working on a perfect load. But will say she will be faster than many of the bigger 7mm out there.

This reamer I have was done by James McClure. He has shot this for years at bench rest matches. But I made the throat longer for big vld's on my guns.He also chims in once in a while on this site.

The reamer I have is from Dave Kiff Pacific tool and Guage.

Good to see so many people with a love for wildcats these days. We could just buy a gun and shoot it. But then we would not reach for bigger, badder , faster rounds.

I also have had a 7mm / 338 laupa. So if my barrels get some wear in them I can always build them into one of theses round. Working on a reamer print for a 35 degree long neck or short in a Laupa case.

Thanks for the chat have a great 4th of July everyone.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts