7mm ultra 160 accubond

den

has anybody shot game close with accubonds @ say 3300-3400 I think they load 270 wsm @ about 3200 w acubonds from factory any ideas or experience thank you

I shot a deer with a 7mm 160 gr. Accubond and the velocity had dropped to about 3300-3400 fps at the point of impact. At the shot/impact I saw the spray out the off side and the deer had a very adverse reaction to the impact. Lungs were totaled, 1/2" entrance hole and 1.5" exit hole with a lot of damage around the exit wound. Blood spray/splatter was in an area approximately 10-15' across and for about 10-15' behind the deer. Near as I know the slug is still going.:rolleyes:

Remember you're talking muzzle velocity with the load you stated for the WSM and I'm talking point of impact velocity in my instance.

I've used the 160 accubond on quite a few deer, impact velocities were from 3000-2200 fps.
The one at 3000 fps was laying in the nest, head curled up around its side. POI was just under the right eye, bullet exited the head, left a hole the size of a quarter, re-entered just behind the shoulder, and exited the off side leaving about 1.5" hole. its my "GO TO" bullet for less than 1K hunting.
RR

50 yards

My brother walked up on a nice 3 point last year and shot it at 50 yards. 7RUM 160 Accubond 3400 fps. One shot quaterign away--Not Pretty. It hit it so hard it bounced back to its feet. 2nd shot in the neck and almost dislodged it. Could not hang it fron the head to skin:eek:

I do not think we can expect a bullet to preform at those velocities. Deer was very dead, Meat loss was what I would expect a shoulder shot with a Ballistic tip at 2700Fps.

Do not know what your looking for but if you need more details let me know.

I've killed two bulls under 100 yards with the 200 gr Accubond in my .300 Ultra. The first at 42 yards. The second a few years later at 79 yards. Both pass through lung shots. Exit hole about 1and1/2 to 2 inches. Neither bull made it 30 yards. My load pushes the 200 gr at 3200 fps, so impact velocity was high. Not your exact situation, but it does show the toughness of the Accubond. mtmuley

thanks for the experience guys, why I was asking is because nosler suggeseted 3100-1800 fps I may have to load a slower load for close in.I assumed it might wreck a deer inside a hundred yds or so I am getting 3400 consistently with rl25 w/ less than hornadys max..,since I had blue printing work I guess it shortened the chamber, I thought this might happen . anyways I bought 7 um for long shots on black bear& elk in large caynons in oregon but i want to use it for deer also thanks again..

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.