7mm STW

for hunting i like 160's partitions,speer-grand-slams, accubonds, barnes tsx would bee great also, for taget i like boatails 150s 168's..... if your a new reloader try them later then sooner. powders reloader-22... h1000... primers fed. 215 magnum or gold match215 or any mag primer really,rem brass is fine as is winchester...lighter bullets while shooting very flat turn into little umbrellas with this kind of power and will blood-shot much meat. its a great round but match your bullet choice to the game your hunting.. there are many Great hunters/shooters here with Vast knowledge...read up all you can . don't buy cheap..it gets expensive when you have to re-place it 1or 2 times.... enjoy the forum, regards:D

If you do a search, there should be lots of info on STW loads from past threads.
I use 71.5 grs IMR4350 pushing 140 Accubonds on top of a magnum primer down a 26" tube.
I've tried H1000, RE22, as well w/ some success with Barnes 150's, Sierra 160's, 160 Partitions and a few more.

Hope this helps.

I am shooting 140 grn Accubond with 82 grns H-1000 to 3295 fps 1" at 200 yards and 150 grn SMK with 77.5 grn IMR 7828 to 3258 1" at 300 yards.

Winchester brass and CCI magnum large rifle primers. OAL set out as far as magazine will let me.

Some hot loads from before SAAMI stepping in.

7mmstwIMRHercules.jpg

7mmstwIMR.jpg

7mmstwHodgdon.jpg

Good friend of mine took a stock Rem 700 7 rem mag --- rechambered to a 7STW using the stock barrel. He is getting 0.5 moa and less using 140 gr accubonds and 77.5gr Retumbo. I know he tried a lot of powder/bullet combos before settling on the above.

I'm launching 162 A-MAX's with what the books say is too much IMR 7828. Chronoed them at 3250 fps with no excessive pressure signs and it flirts with 1/2" groups at 200 yrds. I recommend it for golf balls at 200 yrds! We have only used it on one buck at approx 475 yrds. Lots of destruction and one very dead deer.

I am shooting 80.6 grains of H1000 behind a 162 gain Hornady interlock. I am getting 0.5" group at 100 yrds. The bad thing is destroys meat. I am looking for a load in 160 grain hunting bullet but no one wants to trade me out of my 175 grain Grandslams. I love this gun. It is fun

79.3 grains of RL22 UNDER A 140 combined tech. sparked by a gold medal 215, with bullet seated to the box in my sendero shoots 1/4 min groups at 100. I shot a deer at 477 yds. and it was like lightening struck. Velocity was 3305, and NO pressure signs. This gun shot so good that if it didn/t shoot, it was always me. Another load 75.5 RL22 under a 160 partition tha would yeild 3/4 groups at 200 yds. velocity unknown. want to try 168 gr. berger, Awesome caliber. It just don/t get any bettergun):)

I shoot a 127gr Groove bullet right now. Cant buy them anymore. In this bullet I am running 81 gr of RL22 on Gold match 215's. If I remember right I am pushing near 3500 fps. Knocked the dog snot out of several Elk and deer, VICIOUS! Can you say in a nickle at 300 yards! I can! Bad thing is I only have bout 30 of these rounds left. So I think next I am going to try the Barnes MRX 140's. I have been super impressed with the 150gr TSX in my bro's 300 WBY. Elk killing machine right there so thats why I am going to try them. I wont go heavier than 140's.

I tried the Lazzeroni Lazzerheads and I think my twist is wrong for them, Could not get good groups but the velocity was unreal!

I also tried 140 gr. Combined Tech. Ballistic tips and they were terrible. I found that at around 400 yards the bullets were coming apart. Shot a milk jug with them and it looked like it was shot with a shot gun. The jacket was inside and didnt even go all the way through the jug anywhere.

Retumbo/180 Bergers.

Start at 77 grs and work up. I get vertical at less than 77 gr. My rifle has a Wyatt's extended magazine box so I set the cartridge length to 3.800", just short of the lands (I don't want the bullet touching the lands in a magazine rifle even if it does group a little better that way).

So far, 78.5 grs looks very promising, but further testing is forthcoming.

One shooter reports excellent result at 79 gr, but this may be too hot in some rifles.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts