7mm Sherman Shortmag w/ 195 EOL hunting results

TheDerkster

I just figured I'd share my experience with the 195 eol coupled with the 7mm sherman shortmag.

Im running around 2900-2950 fps on a 28 inch kreiger 5R barrel. 59 gr of R26 seated .02 from the lands. I have done no real load development yet because of time, but 59 gr is about as high as id like to go before pressure really starts to become an issue. It shoots great though! I cant wait to find some time to work up a ladder test and really get the thing fine tuned. It shoots better than I can now anyways, but it doesn't help to make it better.

Anyways, its shot 5 deer so far (we have unlimited doe tags as a MO resident and I get a allotment of free tags as a landowner as well) and every one has dropped in its tracks except one. That wasn't my fault, however, as my brother took a gut shot on a yearling and blew everything that was in the deer to the outside and it was a mess to field dress.

Then there was one buck. I hit him clean in the neck and crumpled him. The rest were does and a couple that I hit hard in the shoulders about flipped. Thats a lot of energy getting transferred by this round when you hit solid bone and muscle!

Exit holes tended to be large. The two I hit in the shoulders left a exit wound about 2-3 inches in diameter. Another that I hit at around 200 yards in the back on a quartering shot blew up and left a hole big enough to shove a baseball through. I have a picture, but I hesitate to post it. Wounds left by the 195 EOL are a little graphic...:rolleyes:

I have 3 more days to hunt and hopefully I can get some more meat to put in the freezer. But for purposes of this forum IF i have time, Ill load up some 140 Nosler BTs to see how fast I can push them and what happens when you exceed the recommended max for BT bullets. For whitetails, im not sure what will happen. I do know that coyotes are becoming an issue so we will see what the ole 7mm SS does to coyotes as well.

Seems like it is an absolute hammer on deer, but without the kick of some of the larger "magnum" rounds ive shot. BUT TO BE COMPLETELY HONEST, id really like to tone back the load a bit and use a target bullet due to the thicker jackets. Im not a buck hunter, Im a meat hunter and I havent been able to save the shoulders out of very many of the deer ive shot due to the wound channels being so large and blood infiltration into all the meat. Its not that its inedible, but im more or less worried about lead fragments in the meat since I have people under 11 eating it on a regular basis in my family as well as the disappear of clotted blood through out the area that doesn't clean out of the meat very well. So keep that in mind if you like to eat venison!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.