7mm Rem Mag Velocity data?

Mine is 26" 1:8.
With Norma brass, Fed Gold Metal Large Rifle primers, 68.9gr of H1000, 175 ELD X - 2897 avg.
ADG brass, same primers, 68.3 gr H1000, avg 2850.
Two things to note...
1. ADG brass holds a lower volume than the Norma.
2. I don't press the fringes. I prefer to stay comfortably, in the sweet, big accurate spot somewhere back from max load. I loaded up to pressure and backed off to the best node which was in the Norma, .8 gr less. That leaves some velocity on the table but not much. I use the H1000 because its super stable and I just happen to have 20lbs of it.

I appreciate the info everyone. Wish there was a little more data for 24", but I suspect the two inches will cost me 40-80 fps, so it appears I would still be able to comfortably keep the 175-180s around 2900 or a smidge more.

I'm planning to rebarrel my Savage 300WM in 264 or 7mm (and buy a new 300WM), or outright buy a new 7mm and keep my 300 WM for awhile longer. The purpose for 7 or 264 is just a fun project (have components already), and a milder recoiling gun for more sensitive shooters I often take out for fun.

2900 fps with the heavy 7s will match my 300WM trajectories for plinking, and still provide plenty of oomph for elk to 500 yds, and deer to half again more.

Anything on a WSM case needs to go on atleast a med. Length action. My 6.5x300WSM with the 140 Berger just above neck shoulder junction is 3.08 o.a. l
You can have them throated however you want. Sure, if you're trying to squeeze ever single bit of velocity out of something you have it throated for maximum useable case capacity, but if someone is using a 24in tube, they probably aren't trying to squeeze ever little thing they can out of it anyway.

I agree with wayhooyahoo, I shoot 3 7mm rem mags. 2 with 26 inch barrels and one has a 24 tube. All between 2800 and 2850fps with 180 Berger vid with h1000 and Retumbo. Loads are consistent and I have no need to push them harder.

Oh absolutely, because an extra 50-60fps is the difference between a VW and a Corvette. LOL
And what if it shoots better single shot longer than 3" mag box length. There was a thread about 2 months ago in that same scenario.

My 24" 264 win mag would do 3100 with Berger 140's and Retumbo in Win brass before the barrel went out.

I'm thinking about a shorter barrel (22") magnum long action rifle and as much as I love 264WM. I will go with a 7mm or 300 if I rebarrel. I plan on using a suppressor so 26" barrels and 7" suppressors make for unwieldy rifles in the eastern woods.

I've had a couple of 24" 264winmag rifles over the years. You should have no problem safely attaining 3,050 with pretty well any of the 140g bullets. IMO, look at H1000, IMR7977, or H4831sc. If you want to run 150 or 160g bullets maybe give Retumbo a try, my first choice would be H1000 personally.

Since you are using a 24in tube I'd go with the larger bore diameter of the 7mm over the 264.

I don't have a 7mm Rem mag but I have a 7mm Blaser Mag which is nearly the exact same size case capacity as the 7mm Rem but the case is a little shorter, fatter, and doesn't have a belt. Personally, I hate belted cases, but to each their own.

The 7mm Rem mag, 7mm Blaser mag, and 7 WSM, at reasonable pressures, all shoot relatively about the same speed. I'm using RL26 w/180gr Berger's and from my Hart #4 finished at 26 inches barrel I get 3088-3100fps. If it had a 24 inch tube I suspect the same load would be right around 3000fps.

As an option, If a person was looking to build a fairly light 7mm/.284 cal hunting rifle with a 24in tube I'd take a good look at the 7 WSM or 7 SAUM and build it on a short action.
hi, im from the uk and don't have any data for the 7mm blaser mag as they are not very popular here
could you give me some load data using 162 or 175 eld with RL26
any help would be appreciated

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts