7mm rem mag savage long range hunter

Update,

before i even get started, what you are about to read is the truth. this is not some drawn out story. i have been developing loads for my new gun, i landed on 180 VLD beger with63 grains of H1000 loaded at the lands. Chrony when working was reading around 2800 to 2850. this is my first long range gun. i have shot prairie dogs at 300 maybe a bit further with a .223 but that is it. i haven't shot much at targets any further.

i was starting load development this morning at 400 yards. the mirage was terrible. i mean bad i could have sworn that the target was moving what looked like 2 inches. again i haven't shot much at this range.. i was shooting right at 3 inches. 3.1 to 3.25 outside to outside. i wasn't nearly as happy as one of my fiends that has shot long range some with his 7mm STW he thought it was great so i was like ok, good grounp.

he suggested we take it to 600. which meant taking guns and lead sled to a different farm and re setting up tagets and everything. i didn't think i was ready or my gun. well we get set up, the fried with STW shoots 6 inch 3 shot group, buddy with new savage 110BA 338 Lapua shout around 4.5 inches. i got set up, no mirage no wind to speak of, i shot a 1 1/8 inch 3 shot group.... 2 were touching one an inch away or so. i have pictures with a tape measure beside the steel plate. i will load it if anyone wants to see it but any one can shoot a grounp at 50 yards and say it was 600. i can not stress enough that i wouldn't belive it if i wouldn't have seen it with my own eyes. i know this is not normal.

anyway we were flipping out to say the least, i wanted to reproduce it but my friedns were ready to go to 850, come to find out i should have, but we moved to 850. they both both shot respectable 6.5 inch with stw and 7 inch with Lapua. it was my turn we were excited to say the least. i got dialed in with a couple shots adjusting scope with everyshot, i would move 1 click and then miss the 2x2ft plate completely???... i was shooting 180VLD's and 168VLD's!!!!! i had been grabbing out of 2 different rows in my ammo box... so i wasted about 7 shots. i had 2 180LVD's left i didn't touch the scope i thought it would be close enough to tell what it would do. i waited for the wind to what i would call stop and squeeze, last to shots were 1.5 inches away from one another!!!! i can't explain what is happening. but i do know i am out of 180VLD's and am ordering more ASAP to get them here by mid week.

i am more than willing to hear from someone that has had a ton more trigger time than i as to what is going on. i can explain the 3 inch at 400 with a mirage opening up the group but??? 1 1/8 at 600!!!! this can't be can it? the 2 shot 1.5 was at 865 yards exactly. i am excited but yet hesitant until i get more bullets and shoot at the exact same range to report back.

again this is the truth, i do not know how to explain it. all i can do is wait for bullets and reproduce. i had 3 other people witness both groups, the friend with the STW that has some long range experience about fell over...

benellishooter

Joe,

Are you saying that you think this is repeatable? I'll be honest I'm not sure, but I'm going to try and give an honest report back when I find out. I can't wait! If I repeat it I'll be sure to give anyone a chance to shoot it that doesn't believe. Only time will tell now.

Benellishooter,

Tiny little groups like that, I be more concerned about if you can do it again, every time. I bought my7 mag years ago shot out the factory barrel and replaced it with a Douglass 10yrs ago, the shooting slowed down for a while with going back to college while draggin to kids along, but she a faithfull ol girl.

I have 2 savages also, one in 2--250 it been gone through as well and is a hammering sob, and I got a savage 14 in 7mm-08 for my daughter, in short I like it. My Dad has an old savage 110 30-06 that I used for quite a while, it is predictable as can be. Aside from they can be ugly as all get out I haven't met a savage yet that I couldn't get along with.

Update,

i have received 200 more Berger 180 vlds. loaded about 30 today. had to go shoot this afternoon i couldn't wait. the weather was far from perfect for shooting any kind of distance and the wind was blowing pretty good, around 15.

i went to 250 to zero my scope, i shot 2 fouler shots let cool, didn't have to cool much with wind and 45 degree temps. then shot a 3 shot group. it was just a bit under 1.5 inches vertical and 1 inch horizontal!! i think it is a great group giving conditions and the shooter.

i am really impressed with the rifle so far and the scope. the last time i shot, the scope was dialed into 865 yards in strelok. i typed in 250 for today and i was only 2 inches high at 250. so my data in strelok and the scope adjustments must be really close. the adjustments on the scope are very defined and feel solid. the turrets can be zeroed out and it comes with shims for the zero stop if you like.

i have a 20 moa rail mounted on the LRH, that leaves me 16.2 milrad up and 4 milrad down for adjustment. looking in strelok, guessing that my data is close, i should be able to dial to 1590!! lol.

i am hoping to do more grouping this weekend weather and time permitting, but i am sold on the 180 vld for now. i will probably do more load testing at a different time but right now with deer season 2 weeks out i am going to zero and practice with what i have going. feel free to ask any questions about the gun, scope, loads. anything i can answer i will. again this is my first review of any kind and realize i am rambling some. just excited to get a good shooter in my price range. couldn't be happier right now.

benellishooter, gun)

thanks to all who have replied to any of my questions.

update,

i have switched to retumbo, 66 grains 180 vld. 2900 fps. seems to be a bit less than MOA out to 500. i shoot 400 every chance i get. 3 to 3.5 inch groups are the norm.

Deer season is upon us here in Missouri. new gun, new bullets. i let the testing begin about 645 am opening day. first shot was i'm guessing 3 to 4 year old buck i scored it at 123 inches. big 8. 15 seconds later i shot the doe that was with him. 75 yards resting off of a tree.

i thought this would be a great test for the berger up close and personal, i shot the buck facing me in the chest the bullet went in turned everything to mush and a small part exited just behind the left shoulder. he ran no more the 25 yards and was DEAD...

the doe was not a yearling, fair size for a doe. shot right in the kill zone, bullet took out a rectangular shape of ribs about 6 inches by 3 inches. completely destroyed the vitals and did not exit that i could find. ran less that 15 yards, i mean steps.

i think the berger preformed great at close range. dropped both with in 30 seconds of each other and within 50 yards. im not sure why someone would run 2 loads one for close and one for long range? im waiting for a doe at long range now. long for me anyway. im thinking 500 or so would be great.

the scope was amazing in low light even on 12 power, i didn't try 24 since they were so close. the lighted reticle was great at dawn and dusk.

note, the muzzle break works really well on this gun, i can tell a huge difference between on and off positions, i have not noticed a difference over the chronograph. but it makes the gun LOUD!! my ears were ringing for most of the day Saturday. i can't ever remember deer rifles causing this much ringing, only when i used to hunt with a 41 rem mag black hawk do i remember dreading pulling the trigger on a gun due to noise. i am carrying ear plugs while im setting up on does the rest of the season until i can get some electronic ear muffs.

benellishooter

picture 2 doe rib cage. i could have literally put my hand in that hole.... i couldn't be happier with these bullets close range. but only more testing will know for sure, LOL.

benellishooter

Attachments

• 13528632166251.jpg
    13528632166251.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 159
  • 13528631770680.jpg
    13528631770680.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 156
  • 13529943333070.jpg
    13529943333070.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 148
got the same gun. you wont find a load the gun likes because savage went to a 91/2 twist and changed the harmonics of the barrell. Gunwerks worked a custom load up for,not cheap,.Try a 140 grain berger bullet,winchester brass,fedaral 215 primer,72 grains of H1000 POWDER, COAL3.335,. Less than 1/4 inch groups at 200 yard zero. trust me, i just saved you a lot of time and money. let me know what happens
Just to comment..... I just acquired this same Savage rifle in 7mm and my first two groups were under 3/8" at 100 yds using Federal 150 grain factory loads.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.