7mm Rem Mag and 180 Berger Hybrids

I run 67·5 gr of H4831 with the 180 vld's and the hybrid in my Proof barreled 7mag gets me 3085 with the vld and rite at 3100 with the hybrid. It was not my powder of choice but I am pleased with the results and think I'll stick with it.

I load 180 VLD with 68 gr H1000 out of a 26 inch Brux barrel
I only get 2900 FPS but am very happy with the accuracy.

2900 is about what I figured I would end up shooting when I decided to go with the Hybrids. I have read from a few guys on here that their go to load is either 69-70gr H1000 or 70-72gr Retumbo for the 180's. For you guys getting 3000fps, that is awesome! I was under the impression that was an anomalie rather than the rule. Seems most guys here are having pretty good luck at 3000fps. I will cross my fingers that mine ends up there. I will be using H1000 as that is what I have righ t now.

I honestly didnt think over 3000 was going to happen in a 7mag. My proof barrel is rite at 27in and i have no pressure what so ever bolt lift is easy with no extractor marks on the case heads. My load is 2 full grains over max with the 180 VLD according to Hodgdon's load data @ 67.5 gr of H4831. I would get a fuller case with Retumbo but the groups from the current load are in the low 2's so im leaving it alone. Retumbo seams non-existent rite now and I was able to get 8lbs of the 4831 online along with a bunch of the 180 Hybrids

Lots of good info here. I think for me the 3000 barrier was achieved by the short bearing surface of the 180 hybrid creating less pressure.

On a side note. How is your brass holding up? Im using win brass and it has lasted twice as long as norma brass and still going strong.

Im using Norma and Nosler Custom and both are holding up very well. I used Nosler before a couple of years ago and it didnt last long before the pockets went but this new stuff seems to be a lot better pockets were very tight first few times and are still holding well.

2900 is about what I figured I would end up shooting when I decided to go with the Hybrids. I have read from a few guys on here that their go to load is either 69-70gr H1000 or 70-72gr Retumbo for the 180's. For you guys getting 3000fps, that is awesome! I was under the impression that was an anomalie rather than the rule. Seems most guys here are having pretty good luck at 3000fps. I will cross my fingers that mine ends up there. I will be using H1000 as that is what I have righ t now.
Oddly the best I could get out of the 168gr Classic hunter was about 100fps slower bout 2930ish. Like another said about the short bearing length is my guess to heavy bullet more pressure, short bearing surface less resistance. When I was working it up I did run my load up to 71gr and it was definitely hot, and didn't shoot as well either.

Oddly the best I could get out of the 168gr Classic hunter was about 100fps slower bout 2930ish. Like another said about the short bearing length is my guess to heavy bullet more pressure, short bearing surface less resistance. When I was working it up I did run my load up to 71gr and it was definitely hot, and didn't shoot as well either.

Was trolling this thread reading up on some data and thought I would revive it with my most current results. My final load ended at 70gr H 1000th .01 off the lands with 215M primers and winchester brass. After this the bolt got pretty diffiicult. 70 had the best accuracy over everything else for me and no signs of ejector marks or anything but a half gr heavier and it was too much so I quit there. I am getting 1/2 inch at 100.

I don't have a chronograph so I am doing it the old fashioned way. Gonna move out to 300 next and see how it holds up. Not sure what velocity I should use to get me close but I should know more after getting out to 3 or 400

Had my smith rebarrel a buddies Abolt 7 mag with a 28" kreiger. 75grns of RL33 and 180 hybrids @ 3100fps. We had been over 3200 but backed off.

Was trolling this thread reading up on some data and thought I would revive it with my most current results. My final load ended at 70gr H 1000th .01 off the lands with 215M primers and winchester brass. After this the bolt got pretty diffiicult. 70 had the best accuracy over everything else for me and no signs of ejector marks or anything but a half gr heavier and it was too much so I quit there. I am getting 1/2 inch at 100.

I don't have a chronograph so I am doing it the old fashioned way. Gonna move out to 300 next and see how it holds up. Not sure what velocity I should use to get me close but I should know more after getting out to 3 or 400

Let us know how that load turns out. I was shooting 71 grns of Retumbo with the 180 VLD's and Hyb's, but backed down because the loads were making my Win/Nosler Brass primer pockets loose. no sticky bolt, but slight ejector marks.. Speed was at 3068 fps. I now use 69.5 @ 2990 fps. I plan on working up slowly to see what load I can use where my primer pockets will hold. My VLD's are more accurate than my Hyb's, thus far.

Let us know how that load turns out. I was shooting 71 grns of Retumbo with the 180 VLD's and Hyb's, but backed down because the loads were making my Win/Nosler Brass primer pockets loose. no sticky bolt, but slight ejector marks.. Speed was at 3068 fps. I now use 69.5 @ 2990 fps. I plan on working up slowly to see what load I can use where my primer pockets will hold. My VLD's are more accurate than my Hyb's, thus far.

I have thought about settling back to the 69.5gr H1000 also, I will see what I think when the time comes. I could see backing it down because of the wear on the brass. I have a buddy who knows a guy with a Greybull Precision 7RM that he had to back down the loads they gave him because it was kinda hard on brass. Maybe this falls under one of those deals that everything is a give and take. You shoot a larger caliber or somethign that takes more powder to get a little more velocity, but if you shoot the lesser caliber and shoot it extra hot, whatever you save in powder, you spend in brass. hahaha Who knows! I am just shooting a Sendero with a 26" barrel so I am curious what kind of velocity I will obtain.

Anybody want to venture a guess of what kind of velocity I will range in? If somebody had a good estimate it would sure make getting my drops started a lot easier lol

Man I love the 180 hybrid, I got it up too 3032fps ok for hunting but dropped it to 2976 for the absolute best group. I am shooting coated bullets and the best part I am shooting them out of the little .284

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.