7mm Rem Mag and 180 Berger Hybrids

Joe, you're right, I was using H-4831sc in my 7WSM with the 180 Berger's. It shot great, but velocity was low. H- 4831sc worked great with the 162 A-max, 3020fps.

We were just discussing some loads details in another thread about a members recent build. I shared my load on that thread using the hybrids. Do a search because there are a ton of discussions about this.

But i think you will loose lots of speed with 4831. I would go h1000 or retumbo depending on barrel length.

Ok, I do have some Retumbo and H1000 that I am not opposed to using. So I will be shooting this out of a 26" barrel with winchester brass and an overall length of 3.418". Which powder do you think I will be best suited for this mid lenght barrel. My preference would be Retumbo to squeeze a little more velocity out of my gun.

I know its an old thread but, how did you make out greener280 with you rifle? What load did you end up using?

This website is unique in that everyone involved in a thread gets a notification. I see this thread is 11 months old.

I will add to it. I just worked up comparison loads with H-1000 and Retumbo with a 26" 7 Rem mag and 180 Berger hybrids. Retumbo was over 100 fps faster.

I would like to add that the factory Remington barrel has enough twist (1 in 9.25) for the 180 hybrid. Believe the suggested twist of 1 in 9 is calculated at sea level. I am shooting at 3000 ft elevation.

Haha i know what you mean. Thats pretty good info about the retumbo test. Ive tried it but not very much. I had h1000 and it worked so good i stuck with it. The testing with retumbo ive done never showed much promise due to extreme spreads never being below 30fps. Would you mind going into detail about your tests? If its true i may revisit retumbo. My load gives 3005 fps with 180 hybrids from a 26" lilja 9 twist.

As AZShooter pointed out in another thread...RL33 "with the heaviest for caliber bullet" is worth considering.
When my current stock of 180 VLDs is depleted, I'm going to start acquiring Hybrids...but right now...

My 25" barrel is shooting 180 VLDs at around 3100. I've been very happy with it so far.

As AZShooter pointed out in another thread...RL33 "with the heaviest for caliber bullet" is worth considering.
When my current stock of 180 VLDs is depleted, I'm going to start acquiring Hybrids...but right now...

My 25" barrel is shooting 180 VLDs at around 3100. I've been very happy with it so far.

Man that is some impressive velocity for a 7RM! I am gonna be starting to work up some hybrids soon. Hopefully I can even get close to that. With my other loads it seems my chamber really likes the hot stuff better than te mild so maybe that will still hold true for me!

Shawnb: I ended up going with Retumbo. Out of a 26" Kreiger at 68 grains I am pushing those bullets at 3000 fps. It groups .5" at 100 consistently. I am pretty happy with that kind of performance with those components.

I finalized mine at 69.5gr of Retumbo. I never chrony'd them, my drops match up to 3030fps. I don't think I'll be looking for another load now though, getting 1/4min out of it on a calm day and still held 2.5" at 640yrds on a gusty day. Even tagged some Pdogs out 500yrds.

I finalized mine at 69.5gr of Retumbo. I never chrony'd them, my drops match up to 3030fps. I don't think I'll be looking for another load now though, getting 1/4min out of it on a calm day and still held 2.5" at 640yrds on a gusty day. Even tagged some Pdogs out 500yrds.

Pretty impressive numbers for a 7 mag! Hats off to you Joe! As H-1000 an Retumbo or getting a little hard to find down here in louisana, does anybody have any load data using IMR 4350,4831 or 7828? Just curious. I've have access to these powders. I've been a very big fan of the 7mm rem mag for over 40 years an still have a soft spot in my heart for them. I've always pretty much shot the 160 grn sierras out of them, but have a lot of 175 Sierra Gameking's an 180 SMK's for another build(7/300), but if I can get 3000fps plus with a standard 7 mag it just might be a mind changer! This tread has my attention now!! Thanks for the great info!!

DT

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts