7mm rem mag 168 Berger and RL26

I'm kinda in the same process myself but with 168g SMK's. So far my best results have been at 67g, 215LRMM primers and about a .035 jump in a rem700 26"barrel. Running in the mid 3000s.

Have you noticed any weird pressure issues??
[/QUOTE
I ran up to 69g (max in Sierra's book) and had no signs. 1x fired R-P brass had no signs, primers looked fine. Did that one just the other day and it was about 75deg. That load clocked an avg of 3117fps. I can tell you that HOLY@#$% did that kick and this is a 12+lb gun. I already have a lights out load with this bullet and H4831/H4831sc (either one it shoots the same) and wanted to give R26 a try to see if it really was the magic pixie dust every one raves about. Even at 67g where my best groups have been so far it still recoils a whole lot more than my "pet" load and only gained about 50fps. I haven't given up on it yet but haven't found "that" load with it yet. I have heard that R26 does get wonky over 80 deg but I haven't shot any when it's been that hot out. I know there's several guys on here with way more experience with this powder than me in the 7mag but this has been my experience thus far with it

Rally-23 is not temperature sensitive and does not give up much to RL-26 in velocity. I would try it along with H-1000 to see what does best in your rifle.

I have a 184 Hyb over RL26 for late season elk hunting in my 26" 7RM @ 3064fps at a near max load. I could see a 168 easily hitting 3100+.

Only 68fps higher than my moderate load of 180 Hyb over H1000 @ 2996fps in the same rifle, which is about 2gr off max. And extremely stable.

I tried RL26 with the 168 berger got high ES no matter what I did. Retumbo is just hard to beat in 7RM.

RL26 will give you pressure spikes in higher temperature, 85 degrees and up and you'll have issues with loads on the higher end. Many have leaned towards H1000 as it's not temperature sensitive

Hope this helps and stay safe.
This theory of 85° and higher spikes has been debunked by some as well, maybe it's lot to lot. But a dude in Texas test his load from 70 to 100° and they were within 5fps of one another. So it's either hearsay, inconsist, or lot depending.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts