7mm rem mag 168 Berger and RL26

It might work for some but not everyone. Here it usually over 85 degrees, its triple digit temps for 5 months of the year so no need to risk it when there are other oprions. The animal wont tell the difference when the bullet impacts it with 50 to 70 fps less in speed.

Now many here live in areas where temps rarely go over 85 or 90, for them it wont be a problem.

The best would be to develop a load and then try it in the summertime and see what happens. For me it did not work out, but the OP should do his own tests, carefully

I used quick-load to determine peak load for 105 degrees for pressure max. Then fined tuned for best accuracy at hunting temp only going lower. And no I dont trust quick load to start at that max I work up just to verify that QL max is safe at hunting temp, wound up 47gr in 6.5 cm. I have never seen any spike using RL26 you do get some increase in pressure speed but thats with near any powder. Whom ever started that rumor likely had a peak load in 30 degrees and had ammo in sun on hot day. I never make a load at peak pressure in low temp just because in TX I maybe hunting in 95. But again RL26 did not do well in my 7RM but is sweet in my CM. I'm 2875 in it with 142 LRAB.

I load for a friend with a long throated 7rem. He shoots 168 Bergers with -+ 70 grains of rl26 and a 215 primer the rounds are over 3.500". I can't quote his exact load as I send his reload book with him when he leaves but his 168s are over 3100 FPS in a 25" krieger 1:9.

Think I settled on a load my rifle likes perty well.

Attachments

• BDD3FC51-6333-47FC-8326-69055CA03ECD.jpeg
    BDD3FC51-6333-47FC-8326-69055CA03ECD.jpeg
    30.2 KB · Views: 146
  • 584720BB-5F01-4B79-8FA6-4DEF9BED399F.jpeg
    584720BB-5F01-4B79-8FA6-4DEF9BED399F.jpeg
    28.3 KB · Views: 156
I ran up to 69 grains an groups started to open up a bit. I only had one that was over an inch. So far I'm pleased with the rifle an load. It pushes back quite a bit more than the H1000 load I had worked up it seems. Is that normal??? Now it's time to see what it does out to 500. Need to repaint my gongs.

I have read on other forums that its a kicker. I know from what I've done with it so far that with like loads ( same bullet at like velocities) that it does push back harder than with other powders that I have tried.

I have read on other forums that its a kicker. I know from what I've done with it so far that with like loads ( same bullet at like velocities) that it does push back harder than with other powders that I have tried.
It shoots good enough that I can deal with the recoil for now. I'm planning on a different break one of these days

It shoots good enough that I can deal with the recoil for now. I'm planning on a different break one of these days
Not a 7RM but rl26 and rl23 seem to kick more in my WSM as well. Not so obvious on close shots but it can hurt you watching the impacts past 500

Not a 7RM but rl26 and rl23 seem to kick more in my WSM as well. Not so obvious on close shots but it can hurt you watching the impacts past 500
Is this due to your rl23 and RL26 loads having higher velocity than other loads? Usually energy on one end the gun dictates it on the other end too.

Is this due to your rl23 and RL26 loads having higher velocity than other loads? Usually energy on one end the gun dictates it on the other end too.
I would assume so. 23 is considerably faster than h1000 in that rifle and 26 is faster still. I assume that's why it generates more recoil. 3020 FPS with a 180 grain 7mm is no slouch.

I would assume so. 23 is considerably faster than h1000 in that rifle and 26 is faster still. I assume that's why it generates more recoil. 3020 FPS with a 180 grain 7mm is no slouch.
No that's moving. My bros 7mag pushes 180s at 3060fps w/ rl26, he's close to pressure but the adg brass shows nothing.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.