7MM Reloading Dies

Johnfn

I am new to reloading. I have been doing tons of research over the last couple of weeks. I just bought a custom made Hill Country Rifle, used. I want to shoot the Berger 168 gr bullet.

In order to best optimize a load with the proper distance from the lands, what reloading die would you recommend? I have the Hornady OAL tool, so I can measure, I just want to be able to have a die that is easy to use to try different increments away from the lands.

Suggestions?

Any seat die will do what you want but the ones with the micrometer adjust make the job a bit easier. Forster Ultraseat Die and the Redding Micrometer Seat die are the best ones. The Hornady equivalent is sloppy by comparison. One important consideration is the seater cup (the part that engages the bullet). If you use a long pointy bullet you need to make sure the bullet tip does not bottom out on the seating stem. The cup should engage the bullet on the ogive.

Forster Ultraseater Die - more expensive but can make your reloading different depths easier.

"In order to best optimize a load with the proper distance from the lands, what reloading die would you recommend? "

No die has any particular advantage for obtaining "the proper distance from the lands". Those seaters with micrometer heads do make it a little easier to change seating by a specific amount but the 'best' OAL/bullet jump for sporter rifles with SAAMI chambers and common bullets really isn't terribly sensitive anyway.

Off the top of my head I can think of at least a half dozen 7mm cartridges; which are you using?

Last edited:
Thank you everyone! I am going to use Nosler Brass and the Berger 168 gr. This should be fun!

Hi John,
In the beginning of my reloading I purchased a few expensive dies. I decided to try the Lee Collet neck sizing die set. I've never looked back. If they have the deluxe set in the caliber you want, I recommend that. If not, get the collet dies set and a Redding body die to bump the shoulder. The site listed below is probably the most inexpensive place to purchase those sets. One other thing that is best used with this die combination. The Digital Headspace Gauge by Larry Willis. You can use this gauge very accurately for case shoulder bump (headspacing) and bullet seating (all calibers)

https://fsreloading.com/lee-delux-rifle-3-di-7mag-90613.html

Innovative Technologies - Reloading Equipment

Hope that helps
338winmag

Forster ultra micrometer and full length die set and a lee collet neck die. Buy the set from lee and sell the sizer and seater. You just need the collet neck die but it's cheaper to buy the set. That setup can't be beat !

I use both the Redding and the Forster Ultra seaters. There are some slight differences between then and one major one.

* the Forster has a little less backlash built into the adjusting head (typically .002" to .0035"). If you think ahead you'll be OK with either one.

* the numbers are far easier to read on the Redding (for my antique eyeballs anyway)

* The Redding can be hight challanging in some applications, but for most it's no bother

Now the biggie! The Redding cost about 50% more for what at best is the same accuracey. I've always been told the Redding was tighter, but it's actually slightly looser inside. And with compairisons side by side the Forster was always equale or better. Now for a standard chamber sizer, I think the Forster is much a little better as well. But Forster does only one wildcat die that I know of (.257 Ackley), so for that stuff you need to look at Redding. I like the bushings that Redding uses better than Forsters simply because they're more common, but in the end I do 85% of my neck sizing with a Wilson die anyway so that's also a moote point.
gary

I am new to reloading. I have been doing tons of research over the last couple of weeks. I just bought a custom made Hill Country Rifle, used. I want to shoot the Berger 168 gr bullet.

In order to best optimize a load with the proper distance from the lands, what reloading die would you recommend? I have the Hornady OAL tool, so I can measure, I just want to be able to have a die that is easy to use to try different increments away from the lands.

Suggestions?

also if your going with a belted case (you just said 7mm) buy a body die from Inovative Technologies. You won't use every time, but every three or four sizings to reduce the area just above the belt.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.