7mm on the 300 winchester magnum

I feel like this project is fighting for it. The easy button is to sell off what you have and just buy a new 7 rem mag. If velocity is the desire, get a 28 nosler. If you want something unique, I still feel your money ahead starting with the proper bolt face and such.

F
my brother wants to convert his 25 06 to this case.its a 700 remington adl factory riflehe has a 1 in 8 twist barrel to use .who would you recomend to do this .he has a bugit of about 1000.00 dollals to work with.he alco has about 300 brand newcases and a redding set of dies that use the bushings.thank you for your time
First he's going to need a magnum bolt face bolt. I'm not sure if opening up the bolt face is economical verses an aftermarket or used magnum bolt. That's going to eat up close to half his budget. A good trigger will eat up a third of his budget. That doesn't leave much left to cut and thread his barrel.
His best bet would be having the chamber cut to a 280ai. Most reputable smiths charge close to $400 for chamber, threads and crown. Then he has some budget left for a good trigger, possibly a bedding job don't forget about the shipping will eat up $1-$150 also.
I've had a couple 7mags and 280ai's over the years. I always grabbed the 280ai for some reason. Even my first elk hunt I used a Mauser 98 280ai I assembled and the 7mag stayed in the case as a backup rifle.

A few years ago before everything skyrocketed in cost I found a 300 wby lh model to use as a doner for 7mmstw with 1-8 twist I was itching for to shoot heavies. All that was required was a barrel swap and I did so with batlien. The only issue I personally had to work with was fitting those 195 grain Berger bullets in the mag is one tight fit!

As mentioned several times you have allot of variables going against you on this conversion. If he's stuck on this fun, I would say 280ai is the closest most realistic to deal with and not get crazy.

Or as many suggested perhaps sell this if in decent shape 700's have a decent following. Sell and start fresh - affordable factory rifles in prc fit I desire to shoot heavy bullets itch.

Or find a cheaper/affordable doner like I did and make a barrel swap, all the changing all thag other stuff you will most likely wish you had then have a rifle you can't sell if your just done with the project.

Good luck, let us know what he decides and how it goes

I've shot the 7mm-300 win mag a lot and it's an awesome round. I still have a few barrels and my buddy shoots that cal for long range steel work. It's a great wildcat just need 300 win mag bushing dies and your set just get a .310 bushing. I also had a 7 prc barrel for awhile ibwas very impressed with that caliber and overall that is the easy button between the two but short on components and fighting to get brass isn't fun where there's 300 win mag brass everywhere. I had a 25-06 rem 700 I had it opened up to a mag bolt face and shot a 300 win mag from it. I didn't touch the rails because I single fed they were very long and was only made to shoot steel so can't say the rails would be an issue or not.

You could buy a new stripped bolt from PT&G for about $300ish. Then take all the parts off the current bolt.
Leaves $700 for barrel work. Buy a steel barrel for $400ish.
Cut/thread/chamber is going to run you $300+.
You still have the muzzle to cut and crown. Add $100ish.
This includes no finish work on the steel.

The best bet is sell the rifle, buy a new .300WM and run that with his brass.

Or, sell the brass, spin on a
280AI barrel, and lose about 300fps from the 7-.300WM (AKA, 7mm Practical).
I agree with Lance, the easy button is going to a 280AI and it's no slouch ballistically speaking
If he really wants a magnum, he could get a 7 STW, 28 Nosler or 7 Weatherby. All of those have similar ballistics to the 7-300 Mag and all have head stamped brass. Or, as others have suggested, just get a 7 Rem Mag.
I own a 280AI and a 7 STW. The STW is my favorite with the AI coming in a close second (and I own another 6 different chamberings from 6.5 to 338 caliber).