7mm on the 300 winchester magnum

ann brezinski

my brother wants to convert his 25 06 to this case.its a 700 remington adl factory riflehe has a 1 in 8 twist barrel to use .who would you recomend to do this .he has a bugit of about 1000.00 dollals to work with.he alco has about 300 brand newcases and a redding set of dies that use the bushings.thank you for your time

he has a bugit of about 1000.00 dollals to work with.

Besides having the bolt face opened up for the magnum rim you will also need to have a new extractor added, AR15 or Sako. Then the feed rails and feed ramp have to be adjusted for the belted magnum case. Then you'll need the follower and maybe the follower spring for the magazine along with a new box for using the longer bullets.

It might be more budget friendly if your brother considered the .280 Rem. or the .280 AI cartridge instead.

Enjoy the process!

:)

You could buy a new stripped bolt from PT&G for about $300ish. Then take all the parts off the current bolt.
Leaves $700 for barrel work. Buy a steel barrel for $400ish.
Cut/thread/chamber is going to run you $300+.
You still have the muzzle to cut and crown. Add $100ish.
This includes no finish work on the steel.

The best bet is sell the rifle, buy a new .300WM and run that with his brass.

Or, sell the brass, spin on a
280AI barrel, and lose about 300fps from the 7-.300WM (AKA, 7mm Practical).

Or he could just get the RemArms 7mm rem Mag and run a 7mm Practical reamer. He might need to set the barrel back a turn first.
I've done 1 by myself and had 1 done by a friend. I didn't have to set mine back and I don't think my friend did either. I did start with 7 RM chambers.

I don't know about the 7prc, never shot 1. I will say that my 7/300wm shoots very well so far
I haven't been able to really stretch it out due to my health
I hope that changes in the not too distant future.

If your buying a 7PRC rifle, bear in mind that the factory chamber will be set up for 180gr bullets.

I've been seeing used 7PRC rifles already.

Easy and least expensive option is for your brother to buy a 7mm Rem Mag.

Every rifle manufacturer chambers it. And decent used ones are fairly cheap.