7mm Mashburn Super Magnum Drawings

Turtle566

Hi all, I am building a custom 7mm Mashburn Super Magnum, have a Defiance Deviant Tactical Action and a Maddco barrel 26"x 11/4" x 7mm Remington magnum that is to be reamed out, the problem l have, is that l contacted JGS to purchase the reamers, they were very good to deal with except they said they Cannot send me the details/ drawings of the reamers due to some new law saying that no USA company is allowed to send technical drawings over seas.
I am in Australia so I am after some help in obtaining a set of drawings for the Mashburn Super so that I can make sure I get the right reamers as l've come across 4-5 different versions, I am happy to pay a fair price for said item and am hoping someone knows what I am looking for,
Many thanks in advance
Regards,
Graham.

Due to the "international trade in arm regulations" (ITAR) it is illegal for anyone to send 'regulated' items out of the US. Doesn't matter if it's to a ally or not. Export regulations, which carry the weight of law.

Hi shortgrass, I am astounded that I am able to purchase the reamers from JGS, but not see the drawings as it is standard practice to confirm the right reamers are being made, so l get this right, the reamers are not regulated but the drawings are?
Things must be a lot worse over their than I thought.
Thank you for the prompt response and information, I will just have to find a way to get hold of the drawings/ specs
Regards
Graham.

Evidently, JGS has an 'export license' for the reamers they make, but no 'export license' for drawings. ITAR is deep, deep, deep in regulations, many times regulations that don't make much sense. Leave it to the bureaucrats!. Unelected government employees who can make 'rules' (regulations) at the behest of the elected who can't get laws passed through the legislature, and then those 'rules' have many far reaching and unintended consequences..... Not even the lawyers can figure it all out.

Why don't you just spec a reamer to what you want? There are drawings on the internet. Find one you want or find one close and work with the reamer maker to make the desired changes.

Evidently, JGS has an 'export license' for the reamers they make, but no 'export license' for drawings. ITAR is deep, deep, deep in regulations, many times regulations that don't make much sense. Leave it to the bureaucrats!. Unelected government employees who can make 'rules' (regulations) at the behest of the elected who can't get laws passed through the legislature, and then those 'rules' have many far reaching and unintended consequences..... Not even the lawyers can figure it all out.
Thank you for explaining it so clearly, we have the same problem with bureaucrats here, not quite as bad yet (I think)
Why don't you just spec a reamer to what you want? There are drawings on the internet. Find one you want or find one close and work with the reamer maker to make the desired changes.
I have found about 4 different drawings for the 7mm MSM, l have been informed that JGS has an original set of drawings for the cartridge, l am not sure if they have more than one and with the dollar difference, I am reluctant to gamble, it may be worth trusting JGS, just more communication with them, until shortgrass informed me of the new law situation, I thought I could just source the drawings privately as they have nothing to do with the military etc, from a source that I trust in the states, LRH site, sorry I didn't realise that it would cause problems for everyone, other wise I would not have asked.
Thank you for the information, you have given me an idea of how to move forward and achieve the build with out too much hassle,
Regards
Graham

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.