7MM Holy Grail

Still see some things about it.

I am doing a 7mm/XR. was done by a guy here on the forumn.

It is a 35 degree long neck 338 Norma.

Still playing with brass work yet.

Have reamers gauges. Now too anneal ,form, turn necks. then shoot to fire form.

A lot of work. A 7mm /338 Norma with a 40 degree may be easier.

Also have had a 7mm Allen mag.

Jeff

I came up with the 7xr. I also have a re-sizing die which Dave Kiff made. (my prints should still be on file) All I do is put a small smudge of Imperial wax on the case & run 300 Norma Mag. brass into the 7xr sizing die. Clean & shoot. Works fine no muss no fuss. If you start with 338 Norma Mag. brass then you would have to take it down in size .005 at a time to prevent any difficulties.
I'll try to answer any questions you may have.
Semper Fi

I've got a question for you. Where do you find 300 norma brass right now? My dad is looking into doing a build around this cartridge.

Is this the name of the 300 Norma mag necked to a 7mm with a 40 degree shoulder? My buddy is working on one right now. He's getting 3550fps with a 168 Berger but has to back it down some due to pressure. He's shooting a 30" barrel in a bat action. It's really accurate. We were fire forming brass and had a 4 shot group@ 450yard that was 5/8".

Black Hills Shooters Supply may have some. The 7xr does not have a 40 degree shoulder. Jared Joplin of APA has one that he was running a 162 AMAX at 3600 fps but had to slow it down to 3500 fps to keep the bullets together.
I would give Jared a call for some of his loads.
Semper Fi

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.