7mm eldx questions

djfriesen

I have an issue running a 162 gr eldx in my Sako A7 in 7mmRM. It is too long to mag feed. I'm looking into potentially switching to the 150 gr version.

I'm hoping someone running this bullet can give be some COAL info, as well as any feedback on how the bullet has performed. I'm pretty happy with the accuracy and terminal performance of the 162 and am curious if the 150 will behave similar.

I shoot the 162gr eld x out of a 7mm RUM. This year I shot an elk and four whitetails ranging from 50 to 580 yards. I have been absolutely loving the performance of that bullet. Since they are designed to open at long range, I was very worried about what would happen when they hit at very high velocity (I'm launching them at 3390fps.) But I have been pleasantly surprised.

The elk was shot twice with the bullets impacting broadside behind the shoulder at about 3200 fps. Only one of the bullets exited, but either would have been fatal by itself. I put another clean through a deer at over 3300. The bullet hit the heart and almost everything in the chest cavity in front of the diaphragm was hamburger. I broke both shoulders on a very large doe at 580 yards, and I managed to recover a bullet was under the skin of the far shoulder of a doe at 570 yards. It hit at a little over 2500 fps and traveled 20-24" before stopping.

recovered162eldx.JPG

Here are some pictures of the entrance and exit on a buck at about 3250 fps.

Exit:
162exitint.JPG
162exitext.JPG

Entrance:
162entranceint.JPG
162entranceext.JPG

Edit: **** it, I reread your post and realized that you wanted to know about the 150. I don't have any info about that.

Last edited:
My factory-barreled sendero 7mm RUM has a super long throat. Even if I didn't need to fit the mag, there would barely be any bullet in the neck if it was touching the lands. I am jumping the 162gr ELD-X well over a 1/4", probably .3-.4". I won't be winning any benchrest competitions, but will put 5 shots in 2" or less at 300 yards, which works for my purposes.

I wounded some wild hogs with 162 Eld-x none recovered, all inside 100 meters. To me it's a long range bullet only.

My son is loading the 150 ELD-Xs in his 7RM. 7RM is a handful for a slightly built 13 year old so we're loading it somewhere on the lighter side with RL-23 (I believe he's getting about 2840 out of his Tikka and shoving them deep enough to fit them in the magazine, nowhere near the lands.). Group sizes are about 1/2 MOA or better.

The first one he fired at a game animal was at an antelope at somewhere near 200 yds. He shot it right through the ribs, the bullet exited behind the front shoulder on the far side about 1 1/4" diameter hole. The antelope buck ran about 70 yards and piled up.

The second animal was a little taffy 6 point bull at about 175 yards. Bullet entered about the last rib or two on the right side and exited about the same spot on the left side. Again about an 1 1/4" exit wound. Bull ran about 60 yards and expired.

The advertised BCs for the 150s seems to be about right. We haven't had a chance yet to see how they will perform at short range yet but we're going to stick with them for now.

I am loading 150gr ELDX in a 7mm WSM at 3175 fps in a 24" bbl.
Yesterday I was set up for a 500 to 600 yard shot over the deer path. Well, a snitch doe walked out at 80 yards and was about to blow my cover...
I have never hunted with this bullet before, I've only used Berger for many years. I expected the bullet to either disintegrate or pencil through without expansion at such close distance. I realy had no clue.
The shot was in the boiler room right behind the front leg. She was DRT. Not another heart beat. 1/2" entrance and 2" exit.
So I would not hesitate to use it for close shots, now to connect farther out.

I am loading 150gr ELDX in a 7mm WSM at 3175 fps in a 24" bbl.
Yesterday I was set up for a 500 to 600 yard shot over the deer path. Well, a snitch doe walked out at 80 yards and was about to blow my cover...
I have never hunted with this bullet before, I've only used Berger for many years. I expected the bullet to either disintegrate or pencil through without expansion at such close distance. I realy had no clue.
The shot was in the boiler room right behind the front leg. She was DRT. Not another heart beat. 1/2" entrance and 2" exit.
So I would not hesitate to use it for close shots, now to connect farther out.

That's some good info right there. Thanks tbrice

Thanks guys! That's the kind of info I was looking for.

I think my best bet is to stay with the 162, and try to bring the barrel in a little. I just need to check how much extra capacity I have, as I don't want to compress the load too much trying to maintain the same jump.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.