7mm bullet tests

okgobbler

I shot a few 7mm bullets into 2.5 gallon jugs of water. I really hoped the eldx would hold together better. Why did they quit making the interbond?
20220822_115359.jpg

while shooting water jugs is ok for a general comparison between bullets it is not the whole story. Your BTSP are a general purpose bullet with a thicker jacket or harder lead or even both designed for close to moderate ranges, the ELDX is a long range bullet designed to work at longer ranges when velocity slows down and having softer lead and jacket to work properly at extended range.

your results are what i would expect at the ranges and velocities you used, try again at longer distances past 200 yds if possible and your results will be totally different. try 300 or farther with the ELDX and they will hold together much better and usually have increased penetration.

As I said on your other post, I have used the interbond with great success and is one of my favorites. I have a small stash of them if you need some for your daughters hunt I could possibly help out.
Thanks for the offer. I have about 35 of the 139 gr. Should be enough for a few hunts..

I did call Hornady and they still make interbonds in limited quanity, just not very often. I told the guy I was looking for a coyote to elk load with the priority being accuracy then weight retention. He said the eld x is designs for 300+ yards as Can1010 said. He suggested I try to cx.

You don't want your bullets to hold together. Weight retention and a perfectly mushroomed bonded bullet is great at selling bullets and magazine sales but is not indicative of that bullets killing capacity.
We take quite a few shoulder shots, so I need something that holds together. Overall, I'm usually pleased with Speer hot core or hornady interlock at 260, 7mm08 and 308 velocities. I haven't loved sst or nbt in light for caliber loads on shoulder shots. I like the gold dot in 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 spc. Trying to work through what I want for a 7mm rem mag. That extra speed is tough on thinner jacketed bullets.

Also if you shoot that eld-x put of your 7-08 it will hold together much like you want it to.
The cx is not your answer for a do it all bullet either
I agree and so did the tech from hornady about the 162 eldx and 7-08.

Do I need to look at the 160 accubond for a do it all load?

I've got a whole safe full of rifles with specific purposes. I'm just really enjoying this tikka roughtech 7mm mag. Light enough to carry and shoot off hand,
big enough to kill about anything and accurate enough to really enjoy shooting.

I agree and so did the tech from hornady about the 162 eldx and 7-08.

Do I need to look at the 160 accubond for a do it all load?

I've got a whole safe full of rifles with specific purposes. I'm just really enjoying this tikka roughtech 7mm mag. Light enough to carry and shoot off hand,
big enough to kill about anything and accurate enough to really enjoy shooting.
Easy solution. HAMMER bullets. Shoot and kill very well.

Water is, a very POOR, Bullet Testing Media,.. Fun to watch, the "explosions", but, very Hard on, Bullets !
We've Killed Elk with, the 150 & 162 ELD-X's in 7MM-08 & 7 Rem. Mag. @ 247 and 295 Yards.
Also used, the 140 gr. Berger, Classic Hunters, out of, my .270 WSM at, 3,200 FPS and that Bullet, blew thru, BOTH upper, shoulder Blades and hides with, a 1/1/2 " exit wound. The upper Lungs, were Mush @ 115 Yards and DRT ! Either Bullet ( Berger or Horn ELD-X ), will slay Elk, very well at, "Reasonable" Ranges as will, the 168 gr. H-VLD Bergers,.. Find what shoots best in YOUR Rifle and,. I wouldn't over think it !
The Interbond's were, a Great "Killer" bullet with, a Beautiful Mushroom, But it was, tough to find, an accurate Load, in some Rifles !
Plus being, an expensive bullet, they probably, don't sell, very well for Hornady. The very accurate and tough, ELD-X, replaces them, just Fine, IMO.

Last edited:
You don't want your bullets to hold together. Weight retention and a perfectly mushroomed bonded bullet is great at selling bullets and magazine sales but is not indicative of that bullets killing capacity.
Yup,.. THIS ^^^ Many "Fragments" in, the "Boiler room", make for,.. DRT, kills.
Sold my un-named, but very popular, Bonded Bullets as, they were, "Slow killers" and the Elk that, I shot with them, walked around for, a while !!
My Family made, 5 One shot kills on Deer / Elk, last Fall with, ELD-X's and Bergers.

Last edited: