7mm bullet for lower velocity

This is my son (one of 3) in the story with a mature buck taken with his 7/08 and the same somewhat reduced Accubond load a couple weeks ago. We were lucky and took 2 good bucks at the same time. His at 100yds, mine at 45yds with the 129gr SST I referred to eariler.
20191124_124249.jpg
20191124_150717.jpg
20191124_124249.jpg

Well lots of suggestions. Lots of repeats on bullet suggested. So now I am only half lost. LMAO Just kidding thanks guys. Always been partial to Nosler line.About everything I have is either BT or Partition. SO I guess I have not been far off,but I leaning towards getting away from BT;s for so much of my loading's.

Last edited:
Ok there is another thread on 7mm bullet,but most where for higher velocity rounds and did not want to derail anyones thread. I have my 7mm mag that my go to hunting rifle. I am how ever working on loads for two 7mm mausers and new 7mm-08 AR10. Looking for thoughts on best performing bullets in the 2600 to 2800 fps range for hunting whitetail deer. Mostly 130 to 150 gr bullets with some heavier. My normal range around here are 300 yrds and under with occasional but rare 400 yrd open field shots.
140 accubonds

I cut an 7-08 Encore down to 16.25" and run an AI reamer in it. It's a fun little gun, great in the blind and a joy to carry. Last year I fireformed with 162 eldx. Seen enough penciling with Hornady's that I wanted to stay clear.

This year I went with 140 ballistic tips. It's killed 3 bucks (my two and a buddy used it) and 2 of the 3 went 40-60y with no exit and very little blood on the ground. I hunt mesquite and cactus, if they run away I prefer a blood trail.

Been thinking about trying accubonds. But BT's are like a grenade went off in their chest cavity, they will die but you rarely will have an exit. If I was hunting more open country and I could see them fall it wouldn't bother me at all.

+1 on the 139 Hornady BTSP. I have used them in my 7-30 Waters Contender for years and taken many deer in the 300-400 yd range with no problems. Awesome in slower 7's IMHO.
Another Contender shooter here, with the "7mm JDJ #2", basically a necked down 307 Win. Shot the 139 Hornady's a lot, always good on whitetails. Never chrono'd it.

I cut an 7-08 Encore down to 16.25" and run an AI reamer in it. It's a fun little gun, great in the blind and a joy to carry. Last year I fireformed with 162 eldx. Seen enough penciling with Hornady's that I wanted to stay clear.

This year I went with 140 ballistic tips. It's killed 3 bucks (my two and a buddy used it) and 2 of the 3 went 40-60y with no exit and very little blood on the ground. I hunt mesquite and cactus, if they run away I prefer a blood trail.

Been thinking about trying accubonds. But BT's are like a grenade went off in their chest cavity, they will die but you rarely will have an exit. If I was hunting more open country and I could see them fall it wouldn't bother me at all.
Maybe give the 120 BTs a try. In 7mm they seem a bit tougher than the 140s, and have worked well in our 7mm-08s.

162 Amax or 162 ELDM are very soft bullets with Good sectional Density. I've run them in 7mag and 7-08. These things are awesome. They really start to preform at 2600-2650 which is where the 7-08 starts. From 50-300 yards it's almost like they hit harder out of the 7-08 then the 7mag. Don't let the slow velocity scare u. These are soft bullets and benefit from the lower velocity at closer ranges the high sectional density will result in complete pass through. Best of both worlds. With 7-08 Put about 10.5-11 MOA at 500 and let it rip. At 500 it will still be going north of 1800fps plenty of velocity for expansion on these soft bullets.

I loaded my Grandsons .270 Winchester down to 2300 with Nosler 130 BT's when he was little for recoil. Every deer he shot out to 130 yds was drt with good expansion as evidenced by the exit holes. He's grown now and when I asked him about loading it up he said why?

150g Nosler long range for the AR10 is a dandy, they like a long jump. We have used this bullet and it massacres deer without any failures at all, R#19 with 250 primer.

We have had great luck with 130g speer btsp with 42g of IMR 4895, Rem brass with Rem 91/2 primer, LOT of deer killed with this bullet, with many converts.

140g Nosler ballistic tip and 139g Hornady have done well. We hunt in deer clubs, members compare notes.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.