7mm bullet for lower velocity

Another Vote On The B.T.'s Always Had Good Results Running Them Under 3000.. Son Shot This Doe Few Weeks Back With a 7MM-06 AI. And 120 B.T.. Was Running a Mild Load Of Varget. So Load Was On Par With A Hot 7-08... Do Your Part And They Will Do Theirs..

Attachments

• 20191203_004250.jpg
    20191203_004250.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 105
  • 20191203_004325.jpg
    20191203_004325.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 93
I agree that B.T.'s, SST's and a whole host of other bullets work on all kinds of critters. Some of the most spectacular bang flops I've ever seen have been with B.T.'s. Just a couple weeks ago I shot a large buck with a 129gr SST @ 2,835fps, 6.5cm, base of neck shot, quartering to at 45yds. The bullet hit the opposite shoulder and exploded into a thousand pieces, no exit. Bullet failure, I'd say not, bang flop, dead deer! The bullet performed as designed, blood shot & lost meat, lots of it! Same thing with B.T's, harvested largest buck with gun ever, 180" gross, 60 yds quartering away severely, entry last rib. The remains of the bullet was found at the base of the neck and it was basically powdered lead and copper, 140gr Combined Technology B.T., 3,000+fps, 7wsm, deer ran 40yds. Bullet failure? Nope, it performed as designed, however, I prefer exit holes with good internal damage and eatable meat, that's what I get with Accubonds in my opinion and experience even with some mild loads. Every bullet made has it's own application and needs to be matched to its intended purpose, animal size, distance of shot, velosity, etc. My apologies to some, I've never shot an animal with a match or target bullet and never intend to even though several members here have successfully done so and proved it works. What works for some may look like failure to others, to each his own. There is no one bullet that's best for all hunting applications, although some are getting very close.

I'm new to the form and have mostly lurked in the shadows. I'm also an old dinosaur and technology hindered. You tell me how and I'll do it.
Is the photo in your phone?
Click on "upload file" below your new post.
Open and load the file.
Click the "full size image" after the photo is loaded.
The click "post reply".

Barnes makes 130, 140 and 150 grain boat tail TSX 7MMs bullet that ought to work just fine for your application. I am a big fan of Barnes bullets, have always had great performance/pass-throughs with them.

Oh my God that first one is my absolute favorite frame shape of all time. What a stud that one.
Shep
Thanks Shep, the worst part of the story was that my then 12 yr old son's 7/08 was rested on my right knee as I was trying to get him to shoot it. He spooked the deer and I shot it as it was leaving the scene.

Wow still a good story. You both ended up with the deer in your memories forever. I know deep you wanted him to have it. But it's still worked out in the end. I mean heck he could have shot your kneecap off and then the deer runs down to the the property who everybody hates and gets shot there. And then your dog ran away from home. You know the song. That bow kill is a bruiser too. My 3 best deer are all 145 inches. 1 bow kill in there. No comparison to yours at all.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.