7mm ackley improved bullet choice

7mmAI

I am having a gunsmith take a weatherby mark 5, 6 lug barreled action and change it to a ackley improved. We are planning on using the same 24 inch barrel that the gun came with{280 remington}. He will recrown, lap the lugs, true the face and probably cut a better chamber than factory.
What I am wondering is what bullets would you consider as good choices for long range hunting. My hope is that I will get comfortable out to about 750 yards. Will be hunting mainly mule deer although this gun may also be used for goats, sheep, or possibly even black bear. The bullet that I have my eye on now is the 160 gr accubond.
I know nothing about the a-max, mathchkings, gamekings,or berger bullets. They are all probably thin jacketed bullets that may not be appropriate for hunting, this is what I would like some help with. Thanks Dean

7MM AI, go with the 160grn Accubond. It has a great BC of .531 and it should anchor all the animals you mentioned.

Wildcat

Wildcat, Thanks for the reply.
I looked up the barrel and it has a 1-10 twist. I think it is a button barrel by krieger sp?.
At what range do you think it would still be able to keep a bullet like the 162 or 168 grain a-max stable? If I decided to work up a practice/target round for this gun. Dean

I would recomend the Nosler 160 gr AB.
[image]
280AI160grAB.jpg
[/image]
JD338

jd338, Thats pretty impressive!! What length barrel and what velocity are you getting? How far have you shot the accubond and does its bal. co. seem close? Thanks Dean

7mmAI, Great caliber. Be sure to have your gun smith set up the chamber for the OAL with the best guess bullet of choice (such as the 160NAB).You don't want too much freebore for accuracy. Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

He said that he was going to set the throat standard for his reamer so it will be good for hunting bullets. The magazine would limit keeping long bullets out in the neck anyway.
JD338 What was the coa, or probably more important how far were you from the lands?

I have a 700, action blueprinted. Barrel is a 24" Hart #5 flutted and a Tubb Recoil Lug.
I am having her put into a LSS stock that I bought from SU35 and hope to get her back in a couple weeks. (I have been waiting since late Jan. The smith is finally working on it but is off this week on Spring Brake).
RL22 is a great powder for the 280AI.MV is 3019 fps avg, taken from my Ohler 35.
My COL is 3.482" with the 160 gr AB. I can't remember exactly how far off the lands but I can tell you when I get my rifle back. I'll post some pics in the new stock as well.

JD338

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts