7mm-300 PRC

It would serve no logically reason to do it...all that would be involved I could see bothering...
As much as I'm a fan of the 7mm I have to agree with you. Unless someone can demonstrate the Higher BC 7mm bullets can greatly overcome the more efficient .308 Bore. Where are the Semi-Auto 300 PRC Rifles? Double Stack MIL-SPEC Magazines please??

.308 isn't more efficient bore. I have a 7 saum that shoots a 184 Berger at 2900 with 64 grains of powder (H1000). To get similar speeds with a .308 bullet (215 Berger) I have to burn 2.5 grains more powder in wsm. A 300 saum couldn't come close to matching BC and speed of 7 saum.

.308 isn't more efficient bore. I have a 7 saum that shoots a 184 Berger at 2900 with 64 grains of powder (H1000). To get similar speeds with a .308 bullet (215 Berger) I have to burn 2.5 grains more powder in wsm. A 300 saum couldn't come close to matching BC and speed of 7 saum.
Running a hotter load for the bore size is not more efficient. I'm not an expert and even I know that. The .308 is more efficient only because it's larger. There is no direct comparison as you suggest, you might as well compare the same weight bullet, both being 184's.//edit: if using the same size case and the same amount of powder the .308 barrel will last longer as well.

Running a hotter load for the bore size is not more efficient. I'm not an expert and even I know that. The .308 is more efficient only because it's larger. There is no direct comparison as you suggest, you might as well compare the same weight bullet, both being 184's.//edit: if using the same size case and the same amount of powder the .308 barrel will last longer as well.
Well that would make the 7mm overbore now wouldn't it? The answer is yes. The 7mm bore is at least as efficient and I would argue more so than the 308. Your statement on comparing both a 7 and a 30 with a 184 grain bullet to make it an equal comparison could not be further from the truth. Compare equal bullet sectional density's when going across bore diameters. Not weight. Do you realize what a 185 grain 30 cal BC is as compared to his 184 grain berger? .550 to .695 that is not even the same ball park. However his 184 berger vs a 215 berger the BC and sectional density are practically identical. So yes his comparison was perfect and your rebuttal missed the mark by a mile.

The larger the bore size, the more surface area for pressure to act on the base of the bullet. So, say you compare a 300 PRC to a 7-300 PRC, the 300 will push the same weight bullet faster than the 7 bore can. When we talk about efficiency, we are usually talking about what velocity we can get for a certain amount of powder. Basically the bigger the case the less efficient it will be. If a case design handles higher pressures, it will be more efficient. Efficiency is tied to accuracy. There are certain case size "limits" for the very best accuracy. In competition this is quite obvious when you look at the consistent winners. When it comes to the 7 and 30, the biggest case sizes that win consistently are the 284 (with a handful of 7 saums) and 300 wsm. But those cases do not always give the performance we want for hunting, so we trade a little bit of raw accuracy to gain performance.

Last edited:
I think they are more efficient. In this instance, I think of the 300 Win Mag and 338 Win Mag. The .338 has less case capacity, but can push a 225 grain bullet to the same speed the 300 does a 200 grain. Im also talking 24" hunting rifles, not what a 30" 300 WM will do.

Depends on your desire of efficiency. Ballistically efficient? A 7mm is def more efficient in thag regards. 7 saum with 180 hyb @ 2900+ with mid 64ish powder charge, cannot be equaled in a 30 cal till you get to 300wm with 215s @ 2900+ with a 77ish powder charge and a LOT more recoil. So a case with 73gr cap vs a case with 88gr cap to match each other. Granted the charge to bore size ratio is almost the same, so barrel life will be similar, however the cost to load and shoot the 7mm will be cheaper and the recoil noticeably less. I'm not a 7 fan, like at all really. I've owned over 50 bolt guns, and had over a dozen semi custom or full custom. Only 2 have been 7mm, a 7 max that doesn't live to Richs advertised abilies, and now the 7-300prc. I much prefer sleek 6.5s from short mags for long range target, deer and antelope. The for elk, I like big 30s and 338s. The 7mm fits a role where it does a few of the tasks very well, and okay at a few others, it's a tweenee that does work for everything, but doesn't excel with big bodied critters. I know, I've saw several elk killed with 28 nosler, but these are from friends who built 1 rifle to do it all, I prefer a 3 gun battery.

i had a 7/300prv built an goes 3035frs w/ 195 bergers but you have to trim necks an have a die made but in all shoots great

i had a 7/300prv built an goes 3035frs w/ 195 bergers but you have to trim necks an have a die made but in all shoots great
who built yours? was trying to find a smith with a .535 / AW size base reamer to have a barrel chambered

Recent Posts