7LRM Hornady 175grn ELD-X load data please

My groups open up when I hit 70.5 gr H1000 with 180 hybrids. I tried using fed 215 m primers and they do not group nearly as good as the Rem 91/2. So for now I am using 70gr H1000, Berger 180 hybrid seated to 3.43" and Rem 91/2 primers I'm getting 5 shot groups in the .4's and velocity of 3085 out of a 31" 1-8 twist kreiger barrel

Can someone please help me with starting point load data for the Hornady 175 eld-x in my new 7LRM. I've planing on using hornady brass, cci primes and h1000. I've got Retumbo and fed primes if need be but based on my research this far the h1000 and cci's are a better choice. I'd love to hear any recipes or advice you have/can give. Even a Quick Load work up would be great but I don't know what my coal will be yet. My gun will be done by the end of the week and I'd like to start somewhere working up some loads. Thank you all!!
-Dan

Sneekeehunter, I feel your pain! Reading thru your prolonged and frustrating attempt to get the ELD-X bullets to shoot well exactly mirrors what I just went thru with 162 gr ELD-X in a 7mm Rem Mag.

Groups at 100 yds were 1.5"-3.5"! I tried everything as you did from accurizing the rifle to different dies, annealing, neck turning, various charges and seating depths to shooting fundamentals. Nothing worked.

A few days ago I decided to try some old Berger 168 gr VLD Hunting reloads just for fun. The 3 shot group was .34"!Wow! The next day I shot .45", .54" and .85" 4 shot groups.

Today, I shot .60", 1.0", .75" and .60 4 shot groups with 3 different charges, cases and dies. At least one of the shots in the 1" group was me.

All I can say is I'm done with trying to get the ELD-X's to shoot in my rifle. I've also read about some marginal terminal performance which is the last thing I want. I originally got away from the Berger's because of the potential for massive meat damage, but on elk, with good shot placement, I'm not as concerned about that.

BTW- I weighed 10 random ELD-X bullets and they all weighed exactly 162.0 grains.

10 Bergers weighed 167.7-168.1 grains.

Good luck hunting!

Sneekeehunter, I feel your pain! Reading thru your prolonged and frustrating attempt to get the ELD-X bullets to shoot well exactly mirrors what I just went thru with 162 gr ELD-X in a 7mm Rem Mag.

Groups at 100 yds were 1.5"-3.5"! I tried everything as you did from accurizing the rifle to different dies, annealing, neck turning, various charges and seating depths to shooting fundamentals. Nothing worked.

A few days ago I decided to try some old Berger 168 gr VLD Hunting reloads just for fun. The 3 shot group was .34"!Wow! The next day I shot .45", .54" and .85" 4 shot groups.

Today, I shot .60", 1.0", .75" and .60 4 shot groups with 3 different charges, cases and dies. At least one of the shots in the 1" group was me.

All I can say is I'm done with trying to get the ELD-X's to shoot in my rifle. I've also read about some marginal terminal performance which is the last thing I want. I originally got away from the Berger's because of the potential for massive meat damage, but on elk, with good shot placement, I'm not as concerned about that.

BTW- I weighed 10 random ELD-X bullets and they all weighed exactly 162.0 grains.

10 Bergers weighed 167.7-168.1 grains.

Good luck hunting!

I'm still fighting this **** gun. The Berger Hybrids shot well and then one day they started shooting poorly so I switched to the Hornady 180 ELDM. Those shot better and added about 30fps with the exact same load as the Berger Hybrids. Dang gun will shoot 1/4 moa one day and 1.5mpa the next. It's about to be re-barreled to a 7mm Practical. I'm over the junk Hornady brass. I get 3 reloads and then loose primer pockets. I dropped down to 66.4 grns h1000 just to try and limp out some life on my barrel. That load shoots ok but not as well as the 70.5 load. It's getting scoped by my gunsmith this week. So frustrating.

I did harvest a slough of animals with this gun last year with the closest being 250 yards and the farthest being 610 yards. It took a buck antelope at 450, cow elk at 250, Muley buck at 310, Muley buck at 610, Muley buck at 475 and a bear at 270. Berger Hybrids are amazing on game. All one shot kills DRT.

Last edited:
Sorry...except my bear. Shot him on the run in the scattered timber. Shot was in the guts. No blood trail at all. One single drop of blood about 150 yards from where he was shot. Found him the next day and he went about 600 yards into his bedding area and died in his bed.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.