7LRM and Reloader 22

Smokinyotes

I recently built a 7LRM with a 31" #17 heavy Varmint kreiger barrel and Defiance Deviant action. All of my first loads were with 68-72 gr of H1000 and 180 Berger hybrids. Best 5shot group was with 70gr H1000 @.436" and 3027 FPS. Anything above 70gr and the groups start to open up. I was hoping to get a little more velocity out of this length of barrel. I built this rifle strictly for shooting steel out to a mile.

Just wondering if any of you have tried Reloader 22 with the 180 hybrids in the 7LRM

I personally would stay away from Reloader 22. I used it for years in my 7mm Rm with great luck. THen I had to buy more powder. The new lot has been horrible I get pressure signs to include blowing primers at the minimum loading. I've emailed them about over a month ago and have not heard anything from them. I was bummed because the lot before was perfect.

Corey

I personally would stay away from Reloader 22. I used it for years in my 7mm Rm with great luck. THen I had to buy more powder. The new lot has been horrible I get pressure signs to include blowing primers at the minimum loading. I've emailed them about over a month ago and have not heard anything from them. I was bummed because the lot before was perfect.

Corey

Could you possibly list the two lot #'s here? I would like to check my cans of R22 to see if they match either of yours.

Yes. They are all 45035X080514. I understand that mistakes happen but what gets me is they have not bothered to answer my email about it. Good luck with your loads. When I had a good lot RL 22 was fantastic.

Corey

Yes. They are all 45035X080514. I understand that mistakes happen but what gets me is they have not bothered to answer my email about it. Good luck with your loads. When I had a good lot RL 22 was fantastic.

Corey

Thanks Corey. I will check my lot # when I get home. I have 4 cans of the stuff. Are you saying all of the powder is the same lot #? Or the good powder is different than the bad? Do you happen to still have the lot# of the good powder if they are different?

No I had four pounds before that were great. Bought four more pounds that we're all the same lot number (but not the same as the first four pounds). This second four pounds has been horrible. And yes I still have the lot number. I can get it tonight after work.

Corey

I'm using retumbo and 180 VLD's, Broughton 26" barrel, Defiance, etc. and at 71 to 72 gr getting close to your velocity, i'm at 3,005 fps. I also would think that the extra barrel length would give you a good bump in velocity.

Corey

All four of mine have lot # 45110Z042315. I bought them July of 2015 at the Bass Pro Shop near Baton Rouge.

I recently built a 7LRM with a 31" #17 heavy Varmint kreiger barrel and Defiance Deviant action. All of my first loads were with 68-72 gr of H1000 and 180 Berger hybrids. Best 5shot group was with 70gr H1000 @.436" and 3027 FPS. Anything above 70gr and the groups start to open up. I was hoping to get a little more velocity out of this length of barrel. I built this rifle strictly for shooting steel out to a mile.

Just wondering if any of you have tried Reloader 22 with the 180 hybrids in the 7LRM

Real Guns - Handload Data - 7mm Remington Magnum

A lot of powders work exceptionally well in the 7MM Rem Mag. IMR-4350 with shrink groups when shooting lighter bullets. With heavier bullets H-4831, IMR-7828, RL-22 and others work well.

If I had to stick with one powder, it'd be H-4831SC.

Well lets just say i'm an idiot. I must apologize. Went out to shoot the 7mm rm with a new powder and had the same issue, over pressure at the first loading. Loaded some RL 22 in my 30-06 and guess what, it works great. Right now its looking like I have my bullets loaded to far out and are contacting the rifling but I'm not completely sure yet. I have not had time to investigate it further. I wish I would have caught it sooner.

how far away are you guys placing your chrono?? i'm running 71 grains of H-1000 out of a 26" benchmark at 2885. shoots great but not 3000 ft/sec. I have my chrono at about 15 feet away.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.