788 trigger

Berkly1

New to the forum, but have been prowling it for years. Great place to learn and gather information. Anyhow I was wondering if you all could help me out with a trigger on a Remington model 788? On the trigger there is a 6/40 nf screw that is all but backed out when I came about the rifle. Is this just a slack screw or jacking screw that pushes the trigger snug against the bottom of the receiver? Could you all please tell me how to adjust this screw? With bolt in, bolt out, bolt cocked, ect.... thank you all so much........

B1, those triggers are tough to get what you are looking for trying to adjust. Timney has a very nice trigger for the 788, just a screw and roll pin and done. Can order direct from Timney and have them preset it to your specification. Good luck

B1, those triggers are tough to get what you are looking for trying to adjust. Timney has a very nice trigger for the 788, just a screw and roll pin and done. Can order direct from Timney and have them preset it to your specification. Good luck

Not looking to tune or lighten. Just want to know what that screw is and if it is an adjustment or just part of the mounting system.

Ok, thought you were trying to adjust it. The screw on the foreward top section next to the receiver is called the trigger mounting screw, to the center top near the action is the roll pin which is parallel to the trigger mounting screw. You are correct, the trigger mounting screw tightens the trigger mechanism to the receiver. This screw has no effect on trigger adjustment and should remain tightened. The other two screws lower on the mechanism are the weight adjustment and sear adjustment. I would remove the bolt to do anything to a trigger, it's the first step. Good luck

Ok, thought you were trying to adjust it. The screw on the foreward top section next to the receiver is called the trigger mounting screw, to the center top near the action is the roll pin which is parallel to the trigger mounting screw. You are correct, the trigger mounting screw tightens the trigger mechanism to the receiver. This screw has no effect on trigger adjustment and should remain tightened. The other two screws lower on the mechanism are the weight adjustment and sear adjustment. I would remove the bolt to do anything to a trigger, it's the first step. Good luck

+1 a very good description of what to do.

To add to this, The tab that the roll pin goes through is silver soldered to the action so don't over tighten it. I like to add just a little non hardening Loctite to the Allen head screw and just slightly
tighten it.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.