730grain 458 bullets.

Thescandinavian

Started reloading with this monster in my winchester bolt rifle in 450marlin.
Anyone else tried this monster of a pill?
So far shoot a cow with them and found the mushrom just under the skin on the exit side. Loaded subsonic and 99% lead since I dont want to sacrefice ability to expand.

730gr??? no real reason to shoot such a heavy bullet, unless you want to of course. 405's will drop just about any N. American game. I shoot 516gr DDPP bullets in my Sharps for 1k yard targets. Dad used a 500gr govt nose bullet cast from 30-1 and shot a buffalo last fall....dropped it in its tracks, It didnt go thru but, it was the size of a quarter. LOTS and I mean LOTS of buffalo were shot with 405-500gr bullets. You will most likley need a 16 or faster twist to even make it really accurate.

Unless your trying to kill a tyrannosaurus rex of course!!!!

730gr??? no real reason to shoot such a heavy bullet, unless you want to of course. 405's will drop just about any N. American game. I shoot 516gr DDPP bullets in my Sharps for 1k yard targets. Dad used a 500gr govt nose bullet cast from 30-1 and shot a buffalo last fall....dropped it in its tracks, It didnt go thru but, it was the size of a quarter. LOTS and I mean LOTS of buffalo were shot with 405-500gr bullets. You will most likley need a 16 or faster twist to even make it really accurate.

Unless your trying to kill a tyrannosaurus rex of course!!!!
Have 8inch twist.
Shooting them to have enough energy downrange even in subsonic velocity.
Nice when shooting close to where people live during night.
Actually had to go this high in weitgh to match the minumum required energy @ 100m. Shoot 300grain Hornady FNHP when supersonic.

Ahhhh I see. your gunna be hard pressed to find anyone shooting that heavy of a bullet in that small of a cartridge. Its not really a popular cartridge for long range, it can be if loaded up and do very well though!! Seeing as your VERY close to a 45-70 in all aspects you could most likely use that data, I would look at the "trapdoor" section and there should be plenty of options for 500gr bullets moving around 1100fps. As for the 730gr....I've been shooting .458cal rifles for years and never even knew of such a big bullet, in .458cal. I wouldn't expect to find very much data on that. you could always try the Marlin forums, they just might have an answer for you. If it were me I would just tell the neighbors....there may be a slight pop tonight and run them supersonic.

stay safe!!

Ahhhh I see. your gunna be hard pressed to find anyone shooting that heavy of a bullet in that small of a cartridge. Its not really a popular cartridge for long range, it can be if loaded up and do very well though!! Seeing as your VERY close to a 45-70 in all aspects you could most likely use that data, I would look at the "trapdoor" section and there should be plenty of options for 500gr bullets moving around 1100fps. As for the 730gr....I've been shooting .458cal rifles for years and never even knew of such a big bullet, in .458cal. I wouldn't expect to find very much data on that. you could always try the Marlin forums, they just might have an answer for you. If it were me I would just tell the neighbors....there may be a slight pop tonight and run them supersonic.

stay safe!!
I use 7mm practical for my long range rig.
For stalking and moonlight hunting I use this bolt action in 450marlin with a 7x fixed scope with 52mm objective. For ranges relevant to this kind of hunting it is quite effective with little meat dammage.
Really just curious what others has experienced.
28grains of N130 has served me well.
Think the 730 grain is casting wheelweights and not pure lead like I am so no idea its actual weight, but I suspect the deer find it deadly anyways.
CBE in australia that make the mould.

I also have been shooting 45 caliber rifles for years and never heard of a bullet that heavy. For the past number of years I have shot a Sharps 1874 copy falling block in 45-70 mainly with black powder or Accurate 5744 with cast bullets. A case full (about 63 grs by weight) compressed about 1/10 of an inch, with a waxed card ward on top which allows you to properly seat the bullet, of FFG or Cartridge grade Goex black powder and the 500ish gr., depending on your mix, bullet from the RCBS 45-500-BPS mold. Lubed with either SPG lube or my home made 50% bees wax, 40% olive oil, 10% STP oil treatment by volume lube lit my Federal 215 primer runs 1100 fps on average and is super accurate and I have not shot a deer with it that would stop it no matter which direction it was put into one. Same load with Lyman's 405 flat nose or 27 grs Accurage 5744 smokeless runes 1400 fps is very accurate and no deer has stopped it either. I shot one at 111 yards the was facing me with the BP 405 gr. bullet load. I was aiming at the white patch in the center of it's chest. Dropped in it's tracks. Turned out that the deer must have started putting it's head down at the moment I shot and by the time the bullet got there it struck it between the eyes about 1 inch above eye line. Bullet traveled down the spine in the neck making saw dust of it and then deflected slightly to the right and exited just behind the left shoulder angling downward and hit the left back leg just above the knee and shot it completely off. The bullet then hit the hard packed sandy logging road and looked like a mole had gone down it for about 5 yards. Then the bullet came out of the ground and about 3 feet away hit a yellow pine tree about 3 inches thick and the exit took a slab the size of my hand off it. I don't know where the bullet went from there probably not far. A freight train don't have to be going fast to crash through a bunch of stuff. Good luck in your endeavors.

RT2506, try Felix lube!! I use that in my 45-100 with 405's for deer......zero leading after 20 shots!! I run 36gr of 5744, ES of 7fps and 1699avg fps, works very well in my 45acp,41mag and 44mag

For BP I only use swiss 1.5F, 45-70 uses 80gr, 45-90 uses 100.5gr, 45-100 uses 108.5gr, but that is all with DDPP bullets seated .080 in the case. All use Fed210M and a .060 poly wad.
Just a FYI.....Shiloh has a fourm, LOTS of info on there!!

Good luck to the both of you hunting this yr!!!
Matt

I don't get leading using my home brew lube but leading is not the concern with BP. Keeping the fouling soft is my purpose so as to shoot groups and not patterns LOL. I use the FFG and Cartridge Goex because I acquired, we will say a bit, a while back and haven't run out. I don't shoot the Sharps 45-70 as much as I used to. Life has a way of getting in the way of having fun. I have always wanted a Sharps made rifle but the cost has stopped me. I have a friend that got one of their Quigley 45-110's and I taught him how to load BP for it. It is a shooter.

just ordered my 6th shiloh, another 16-18mo wait! Should have one showing up mid Dec, a long range express.
Tha Felix lube works just for smokeless......sorry if i said BP

IMG_20201107_103337_524.jpg

Thought I better show off this pills

Wow! that looks like it would do some damage!! the way that bottom one looks.....you may want to put more heat in you lead. If your casting out of pure lead you have to get it HOT! like 800+degF if you can, or just add a little bit of tin like 30-1, that will help fill that mold better. Also if you use a ladle, you bullets will come out more consistent in weight. happy hunting!!!

Look great lets, see some pics of them animals!!!

Shot a cow with those. It refused to come home after the summer. So I ended up tracking her with termal scanning. Was able to sneak around her en got my forst shoot broadside from 30feet before she took off. The shoot was in a rush so had no idea if I really hit so I run after her resulting in her turning on me and that was the second bullet that crushed her shoulder so she colapsed. I found both bullets just few inch apart just between the ribs and the meat covering them.
The bullet on the bottom is from my first batch when I still was new to this mold and the later ones look better + I became rathe picky about put those defective ones back in the pot. I try keep to pure lead to make sure they are soft enough to expand in this low velocitys and I want to keep them as heav as posible. No idea what tin would do :/
Wonder what they would do if using harder alloy and pushing them from a 460 weatherby, but I think it is the kind of fetish that make people look strange at me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.