700 vls or ICON percison

I'm kind of a crumudgen, and am very opinionated about what I do and don't like, and/or trust. For me, I like what has been tried and true, and proven itself for quite a number of years.

Of those 2, the Remmy 700, hands-down, in my opinon.

I like Thompsons, but I am really only a fan of their single-shot rifles.

I'm a bit less curmudgeony. I'd say both actions have their advantages-
The M700 has quite the track record, and an abundance of aftermarket parts and mods available. It's been used by everyone who's anyone, and there are a number of fairly affordable models for the financially challenged 99%.

The Icon, on the other hand, is far more modern, and features a number of small improvements the M700 does not. Things like a three-lug bolt, interchangeable bolt handles, guaranteed MOA accuracy, and standard aluminum bedding block. But, you won't be picking up any Icons for $450 either.

Prices aside, with the recent downward turn in Remington's quality control, and TC's excellent features, I'd pick the Icon hands down for an out-of-the-box hunting rifle.

Now, if I were just buying an action to have trued, barreled, stocked, bedded, and turned into a custom rig... the M700 gets the nod.

Read this before you even consider getting an Icon. TC has discontinued them, and the factory has refused to provide parts or service on my rifle since what spares there are are "for warranty repairs only".

The barrels on them were atrocious too. TC is done and over under S&W, they will never see another penny of my money.

BTW, I have an Icon in 308 I will give you a smoking deal on...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.