700 ultramag to STW??

OK, stop whining. Why don't you go to Wal-Mart or some where else and purchase one of the cheap, $350.00, 7mmRM's and use that as a donor action???? I simply gave you info I had. My concern is since the feed rails are wider on an RUM than they are on a Belted Magnum it may cause feeding problems. Just how many times has "your friend" needed a follow up shot from an STW anyway?? Lighten up, this only the internet. If the answers aren't good enough pick up the phone and make a call.

Whining??? Where did that come from and why the rudeness???......you said "I'd research it closley before I ordered the receiver. " and I replied that the point of starting this thread was to do exactly that.......now, if you feel foolish for having told me to do what I am obviously already doing, well, that's on you! Did you miss the part in my first post where I asked "I'm wondering if the feed rails will work for the stw case or would they be too wide???" Do you think I asked the question without knowing that the RUM cartridge is larger than the 7STW??? It's easy to determine that it is larger, it is a bit more difficult to know if the difference in size will still allow it to work.......that's why I asked "Anyone rebarreled a 700 ultramag action to a standard belted mag cartridge??"!

As to why I don't "go to Wal-Mart or some where else and purchase one of the cheap, $350.00, 7mmRM's and use that as a donor action????".......if you had bothered to read and comprehend what I have written.......you would know we need a stainless left hand magnum 700 action......I'd be glad to purchase a "cheap, $350.00, 7mmRM's" from Walmart or anywhere else if you will kindly point me to one that is both stainless and left hand!

As to how many times my friend has needed a follow up shot with a 7 STW......I have no idea, that has absolutely NOTHING to do with the discussion and, frankly, I have no idea why you would ask that???......he had a right hand STW but sold it before I met him, he now wants to build a stainless left hand 7STW......do you have a problem with that???

Finally, as to this being the internet and the answers being "good enough"......well, there are a few very talented rifle builders on this forum that can certainly answer my questions....and, there may be a forum member that has had such a build done and can answer my question.....obviously, you aren't one of them.....so, since you obviously can't answer my question, then, no, your answers aren't "good enough"!

All right, here ya go. I made a call for you and here's the info with a short story. I had a Remington 700 LA chambered in 7mmRM that I sold to a friend. My friend had Terry Cross of KMW install a new barrel on the rifle and chamberd it in 300 RUM. Terry also added a slotted mag box in it. The factory follower remained in the rifle. I don't know for sure but, I think Terry opened up the feed rails just a slight amount. The reason I think so is because a 300RUM case will pass through the rails and not one but two will fit in the mag box and yes, a 300WM will fit and stay in the mag box unassisted. As far as case size, belt diameter, the 300wm is the same/same as the 8mmRM or, you're STW. The end result will be same/same, both RUM and Belted cases will fit and stay in the mag box being described above. As with all other things, YMMV.

Good luck to ya.

I've got an LSS Rem. that started life as a 7mm RUM. I didn't like the RUM and had it rebarreled to 300 Win Mag. and it feeds ammo fine with no alterations. Hope this helps.

Pat

There you go with the rudeness and insults again!

Thanks for the info and all, but it wasn't much help......the question isn't whether it will fit and stay in the mag box, the question is, will a belted mag cartridge feed and function properly through a factory RUM receiver......

1. Yes, a belted case will feed through the rifle I described, again, it's an RUM

2. Yes, a RUM case will fit and feed in the rifle I described, it's an RUM

3. If the rifle you are looking at is an RUM and the rifle I'm describing is an RUM and the rifle I'm describing will also feed belted cases, whas not to understand, are you that dense??

Rudeness, I just don't candy coat things, maybe you shouldn't wear your emotions on your shoulder. You took a shot at me with your post, right after my first post concerning this topic. I was just offering my .02 worth. Someone even asked you to calm down. You've been given the info, what you do from this point is your choice, it makes me no difference. Maybe you should be asking your smith these questions or better yet, let your friend research it for himself. Man, some people never cease to amaze me. I'm through with this topic, you're beyond help.

1. Yes, a belted case will feed through the rifle I described, again, it's an RUM

That's nice, but that is NOT what you said in the earlier post......you said it would fit and stay in the mag box.......great, I'd bet a 223 would fit and stay in the mag box too......at least until you tried to cycle the bolt! You said yourself "I don't know for sure but, I think Terry opened up the feed rails just a slight amount".......so the rails in your action may or may not be the same as a factory RUM action......DUH!

2. Yes, a RUM case will fit and feed in the rifle I described, it's an RUM

Don't care if a RUM will fit and feed......not building a RUM.....or, did you miss that too??

3. If the rifle you are looking at is an RUM and the rifle I'm describing is an RUM and the rifle I'm describing will also feed belted cases, whas not to understand, are you that dense??

Well, up until the last post, you didn't say it would feed belted cases.......you said a belted case would fit and stay in the magazine......big difference between fitting and feeding.......are YOU that dense??? Or, maybe you expect people to know what you mean, even if it's NOT what you write??? Since you don't even know if Terry opened the feed rails at all, let alone to factory RUM specs, then all you can say for certain is that the modified belted mag action will feed both RUM and belted mags.......Just FYI, since posting this topic, I have had conflicting reports from people who have actually done what I am asking.......some say they fit and feed fine, others say they won't feed.......so, I guess it's not as cut and dried as you believe.

Rudeness, I just don't candy coat things, maybe you shouldn't wear your emotions on your shoulder. You took a shot at me with your post, right after my first post concerning this topic. I was just offering my .02 worth. Someone even asked you to calm down. You've been given the info, what you do from this point is your choice, it makes me no difference. Maybe you should be asking your smith these questions or better yet, let your friend research it for himself. Man, some people never cease to amaze me. I'm through with this topic, you're beyond help.

No emotions on my shoulder, just don't think it's necessary to call someone a whiner or to suggest they need a modol. I took no "shot" at you, even though you stupidly suggested that I do something I was obviously already doing (researching before building), believe me, if I had taken a shot, you would know it! Apparently, you can't read and comprehend......further evidenced by your suggestion that I buy a cheap walmart ADL for a doner.......by the way, genius, I'm still waiting for you to point out a $350 stainless left hand Walmart ADL.......

I wouldn't trust your advice if you were trying to tell me how to pour **** out of a boot!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.