700 trigger adjustment screws??

Fan of the 1911

I have a 700 Remington with messed up flat head screws, anyone know the thread pitch on the screws? Bought a used 700 and the trigger is all but un useable with stripped screws. I'm going to clean it all up and try to make it work. I checked and as close as I can find is 6/40 but due to the damaged I'm not sure it's correct.

Thanks, William.
Jewell's are not to be found at the moment .

If you are talking about the stock screws that are stripped,they can be found at Brownells,with hex heads.
Try bugholes.com.I recently bought a Jewell from them.

It's the 3 screws in the trigger assembly it's self. 2 of the screws have around 4 mm unthreaded at the tip ( set screws ) I think they are called dog point set screws. We don't have anything that small that is standard at work, and I tried a couple metric with no luck.

Thank you, William.

I really can't imagine how someone could bugger them screws up.You almost
need to find a donor action to get exactly the right ones.Could be someone here might chime in to help you out.
However I did check the budholes.com website and they DID have the Jewell in top right safety with bottom bolt release.The most commonly used on hunting rifles.Unless of course your gun is left hand.

Used Remington 700 triggers are relatively cheap, if I wasn't going to up-grade to an after market trigger, I'd just find a used OEM and be done with it. If the screws are that boogered up, what about the rest of it? Says to me, someone who doesn't know what they're doing has messed with it. If it was me, I'd change it out for a Shilen or Timney. Jewells are real nice, but most stock hunting rifles can't take advantage of them. If a stock hunting rifle with a crisp 2.5# trigger can't be fired accurately, I'd suggest that it's not the triggers' fault.

Youre local hardware store should sell 4-40 and 6-48 set screws. Is it the older 700 trigger, or newer X Mark trigger? Ill head out to shop later and check for you. Could possibly be even smaller at 3-56.. They should be standard screws, not metric
If you decide to buy another unit, pm me. I have a used x mark pro (blued) here (first version that doesnt have overtravel screw on trigger shoe) and also a brand new, never used x mark pro with triggershoe set screw that came on a new stainless rem 700 short action I just bought from MGW, I had a Jewell waiting for the new action, so immediately took off the SS x mark. The blued, used one has a Hollands spring kit in it. Both have safeties (non ISS lock) but no bolt release (those must remain with the action, however the blued one will have the Hollands extra power bolt releases spring)

Just went out and checked - and you had it right. On both the X-Mark and old 700 trigger the 3 adjustment screws are 6-40 set screws. Keep in mind that a couple of them have spring retaining "points" on the end - which standard set screws from the hardware store won't have.
Both trigger have same thread pitch, although the old trigger has slot head screws, while the newer X-mark has 1/16" hex heads.
If you decide to order some screws instead of a new assembly, I'm sure you can get them from Numrich, parts #57, 59, 64, 65.
Parts are expensive, but sometimes they have parts you can't find elsewhere.

I cleaned up the heads of the screws the best I could. Cleaned all the parts, they were as nasty as I thought it was. Put it all back together and adjusted it a little, it is much crisper, all of the mush is gone. If I am able to adjust a tad bit more creep and a little weight out of it I will be happy with it. Ran out of time to tinker with it. I had a chance to check out a few jewel triggers a couple weeks ago and all I can say is all the bragging that has been done on them is well deserved. Probilly the nicest 4 or 5 triggers I have had the pleasure of squeezing.
Thanks for the help, William

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.