700 Short Action VS. 7 Action

dimecovers3

Could somebody explain to me what advantges there are in buying a 700 stock action rifle that you plan to have trued over the same caliber in a Model 7. I never hear about anyone purposely starting with a model 7 even if it is a short action caliber---they always go with the 700 S.A......why so? And as far as aftermarket add ons go you can get anything you need for a Model 7 , right?

Cant really answer your question as to why,but about anything is available for the model 7,just not quite as much variety.I know Lilja does the model 7 contour and HS has std. and varmint stocks available for the 7.I believe Jewells trigger will mount with slight modification.
Doing a custom model 7 in 17 Rem has always been in the back of my mind,but thats pretty much where it has stayed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I have a Model 7 that I built for my son and I can tell you it has a shorter shank and the position of the rear tang screw in relation to the trigger assembly makes it difficult to pillar bed.

As far as aftermarket parts go you might as well be looking for A-bolt parts as they are few and far between. Not what I expected when I bought it.

The model 7 has a shorter magazine length than the SA 700. And no after market parts are readily available. Brownells carries a longer magazine for a 700, and anyone building a custom rifle is trying to get the max and using a longer OAL. Stocks are also easier to find for the 700. You can also buy direct a SA 700 action without throwing away a whole rifle.

Dime, the SA 700 is a stronger and longer action than the mod 7. if you hold the 2 next to each other it's obvious that the full circle area in the rear is longer on the 700. the 7 is pretty much the same as the old 600, 660 and xp-100 actions.there are a few available aftermarket parts for the 7, but there are deffinitely many more for the 700.

I'm not too sure what the down side of building a custom model 7 is. I had a model 7 in .223 that I had rebuilt for the .221FB cartridge. Used a McMillan model 7 stock, Hart bbl & Rem magazine parts for the tiny cartridge. Rifle shoots like crazy and is a blast to hunt with.

Varmint Hunter, If you are shooting a short case like you are, the Model 7 works OK. I have one in 223 that works great. Problem with the M7 is that it is a M600 updated and designed for short cases. I built my last rifle on a M700 SA to be able to get more parts and a longer magazine length. If you are happy with a M7, go with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dimecovers3,
If you like model 7's and dont need a magazine you need to check out the XR-100 it is basicly a model 7 or XP-100 solid bottom single shot with a nice laminated thumbhole stock and comes with a 40-xb trigger. it only comes in .223rem,204 ruger and 22-250 but you can allways put on a new barrel.
UB

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.