Short action chambering help

Lovellr653

I have a Remington 700 SPS Tactical chambered in 223 which has served its purpose and was ultimately a segway into a higher level of reloading and shooting. At this point I rarely shoot it and was thinking maybe I could repurpose it instead of selling it. What all is involved with changing over to a different cartridge besides a barrel swap? I am thinking maybe a 300WSM if possible or some other short action hunting cartridge. Do I need to buy a new bolt or does the bolt face have to be machined to size? Am I better off selling and using the money to buy a nicer receiver? Any input on the subject is appreciated.

Ross1147

Yeah, imho that’s a bridge too far. To go from 223 to 300 WSM you’d need a bolt swap, barrel swap, spring and follower swapped and the action feed rails opened up. You’d be better off selling and buying a different gun.

Now, if you reload and want something cool you could always swap it over to something like a 7 TCU, 6 TCU, 223ai with fast twist barrel for heavies. Or you could always go with a 300 BLK if you don’t reload. No where near the power of a WSM, but fun none the less. Good luck with your decision!

brcfo_outdoors

Sell it and put the money towards buying either the nicer receiver or the complete rifle that you want. I personally don't buy over the counter bolt guns anymore because I feel that custom guns are easier to source and build in the era of pre-fit barrels and great quality actions. The end result of going custom will trump anything built off a hacked up Remington action.

Lovellr653

Yeah, imho that’s a bridge too far. To go from 223 to 300 WSM you’d need a bolt swap, barrel swap, spring and follower swapped and the action feed rails opened up. You’d be better off selling and buying a different gun.

Now, if you reload and want something cool you could always swap it over to something like a 7 TCU, 6 TCU, 223ai with fast twist barrel for heavies. Or you could always go with a 300 BLK if you don’t reload. No where near the power of a WSM, but fun none the less. Good luck with your decision!
I’ll have to look into the TCUs, I’m not familiar with them.

Lovellr653

Sell it and put the money towards buying either the nicer receiver or the complete rifle that you want. I personally don't buy over the counter bolt guns anymore because I feel that custom guns are easier to source and build in the era of pre-fit barrels and great quality actions. The end result of going custom will trump anything built off a hacked up Remington action.
Really liking the idea of a nice new receiver and putting together my first custom. I shot my buddies 6XC the other day that he built on a Defiance Ruckus and it was a thing of beauty.

matt_3479

The money you’d spend just making the receiver work you could buy a couple different receivers in the same ball park, with better resale values and nicer overall. Kelbly, defiance, bighorn, arc, Mac bro’s just to name a few. Then doing that swap you’d need a barrel regardless so that’s a wash, the only addition expense would be stock and trigger.

Lovellr653

The money you’d spend just making the receiver work you could buy a couple different receivers in the same ball park, with better resale values and nicer overall. Kelbly, defiance, bighorn, arc, Mac bro’s just to name a few. Then doing that swap you’d need a barrel regardless so that’s a wash, the only addition expense would be stock and trigger.
That’s good to know. I think it’s settled then, sell the gun, buy a receiver and go from there. Thanks for the help.

shortgrass

Open the .223 bolt face and install a M16 style extractor. Open the rails and lengthen the feed port, then install a Wyatts centerfeed box and follower. Now, you're ready for a barrel. You already own the receiver, so for $250, and most likely less, it can become a WSM (not counting the barrel).

jpfrog

LRH Team Member
That’s good to know. I think it’s settled then, sell the gun, buy a receiver and go from there. Thanks for the help.
Personally I’d keep it and use it as a trainer, and make yourself actually use it more. Ammo and components are tough to find right now for everything. Having something that’s less $$ to shoot for trigger time is wise.

If you absolutely must sell it, PM me- I have two boys under age 8 and I could make good use of that rifle for them. ;)

Recent Posts